SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lesliew_gw

Can I install a biofilter?

lesliew
16 years ago

Pond guy says no. I have a 1500 gallon pond, 30 some odd goldfish, and a UV clarifier, but no filtration. I have winterized, and now will do Spring startup with the recommended kits from online sources. I had interviewed a number of people last year, and their suggestions all varied, from bio filter, to water changes, etc.

I have a submersible 4800 GPH pump which sends the water up through tubing, through the UV, and around, and back in through the waterfall. This guy says that with no filter, the bio filter will get mucked up from dirt in the pond, and that I would need a separate pump, since the pressure would be cut down. I don't really have an available outlet for another pump, and I don't know how he would even get the water to the waterfall, since most of the tubing is buried under the rocks.

I just ordered a Pondomatic vac, since the things I tried before have not worked. There are rocks and pebbles on the bottom, no drain, and it is very difficult to get muck out. Right now we are still netted, since I can't install my water scarecrows until the water is turned on outside, and we have, in the past, lost fish to raccoons.

Does this guy know what he's talking about? Is it enough to just treat the water and do partial water changes, and vacuum when possible? We weren't really into fish when we had it built - just wanted a water feature - or we would have done it differently. However, I do not want these fish to die. The water, BTW, is extremely clear. Any ideas???

Comments (11)