SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dlynnwa

External BioFilter

dlynnwa
14 years ago

BioFilter

I am going to add an external biofilter to my 9000 gal koi pond this Spring and have several questions I hope that I can get some advice and info on. This is what I have so far:

The biofilter will be 800 gallons and look like a rather large planter - 12ft long x 3ft high x 3ft wide. Made from cedar garden posts and lined with pond liner.

I am going to pump from the bottom of the pond to the bottom of the biofilter at a rate of between 800 and 900 gallons an hour. The flow into the biofilter will be via a series of drilled pipes for even distribution into and below the biofilter media . This will 'filter' the entire pond roughly a little more then twice day. The pond water will filter up and out the overflow drain and back into the pond via gravity. [3in pipe]

Note: With the reach and head to the biofilter 'planter' a 1000 to 1200 gph pump should give me about 800 to 900 gph flow through the biofilter. This flow can also be controlled by a ball value installed where the pipe enters the biofilter 'planter'.

The biofilter 'planter' will host aquatic plants in the spring and summer and into the fall - Winters here in northcentral Washington kill most all of my surface pond plants every year. So the biofilter 'planter' will look like an actual planter most of the year. Mainly water hyacinth.

-
Questions:

1] What media should/could I use in the biofilter?

I have enough gravel left over from a landscaping project to just about fill the 'planter'. This is round, smooth gravel - about half inch up to two inches. I thought I could also add small, round pea gravel with the larger rock.

..,but: The weight of the gravel - and ability to clean it easily are a stumbling block.

I have thought of using those small round plastic scrubbers - packed rather tightly. Placing those scrubbers in mesh bags, in sections - for easy removal and cleaning by sections.., as not to destroy all the beneficial bacteria at once.

Has anyone used this method? Round plastic scrubbers.., on this scale before? It would take thousands of these little guys to fill a 'planter' this size. So, if it doesn't work.., what the heck do I do with that many used scrubbers !?

What other media would / might work on an external biofilter this large??

2] What pump would you use / recommend ? One around 1000 gph to 1200 gph should work just fine.., but which one/type?

-
I currently have a mechanical system [skimmer] and three working waterfalls that pump the entire pond roughly every fifteen to twenty minutes.., and a commercial aeration system designed for a 10,000 gallon pond. Roughly thirty koi.., and average depth of five feet.

-

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/comments/advice..., much appreciated.

d'Lynn / Chelan Washington

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!