SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
west_mi

Hardy Seed Sought for high traffic yard w/ young actice boy

west_mi
16 years ago

In a perfect world, I'd have the TIME to devote to my lawn maintenance to get looking as good as I'd like it to, and someday I will.

BUT now, I'm raising a small boy, (4.5 yrs now), working full time, working on projects in the house, etc. My limited time in the yard is monopolized by mowing! I have 3 acres and many trees that I try to keep groomed. (finally upgraded to Country Clipper ztr and cut my mowing time by 60%... quality of life improved by 60 %, no regrets!)

I'm in SW Michigan, Zone 5B, and want to overseed the back lawn / play area (4500 SQ FT only)with something hardy, that can take a growing 4 yr old and toys, electric "quad", running, a medium dog, etc.

I'm in the country and the "lawn" is just a random assortment of whatever grasses grew there and some weeds, etc. I don't have the time or money ( paying on County Clipper! : ) ) to renovate the whole lawn so I'd like to just patch and overseed now to improve things somewhat. It'll be 3 - 5 years until I can properly renovate the yard, at which point I'll do it right.

In the last 2 years I have:

1) started a weed n feed program ( hired a guy)

2) aerate 1x per year

3) removed a monster white pine and stump ( more sunlight and less acid) this area is FULL sun.

4) have converted to mulching leaves in fall! I'm sold, thank you deerslayer.

5) have started to seed bald patches, but with mixed results.

6) water as needed.

My problem is that I don't even know what seed i'm using? I bought a bulk sun mix and a shade mix and at some point kinda mixed them together. My efforts and results have been marginal. I want to step up my patching / overseeding efforts now.

Please point me to the best seed to use! I'll do the rest.

Any other advice is welcome.

Thanks, JIM

Comments (5)