SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brandondeb

Out with the old lawn, in with the new.

brandondeb
15 years ago

I am new to this site and this forum but have already found answers to questions that I never thought to ask. I have lawn issues big time and my new years resolution is to do something about them. I have lived in my home for 3 years and the lawn has shown signs of deterioration over time and it will probably get worse if I don't act on it right away. It's the middle of December and I realize that my grass has gone dormant here in Central Florida (outside of Tampa). But..... the weeds haven't. My front lawn has Bahia which doesn't look too bad from a distance but it looks like thinning hair while looking at it up close. The backyard on the other hand is pitiful looking. It's 25% bahia grass, 10% St. Augustine, and 65% weeds. I resodded the side of the house last year with St. Augustine and it's still looking pretty good and I have an area that I placed Flortam plugs in when I removed a flower bed and they are looking pretty good. My long term goal is to have Floratam-St. Augustine throughout my whole yard. The back yard has a privacy fence so I can tinker around with it for some time but my concern is the front yard as far as the time element goes. My question is....I want to make the transformation of my front from Bahia to St. Augustine but want to know if I can use the plugs of Floratam and place them in the yard with the Bahia? I don't want to shell out a large sum of money to have someone come in and transform the yard overnight. I don't have the physical means of doing the job myself either. I thought that if I put plugs in the present lawn that I have that eventually the Floratam will take over and grow nicely. I read in another forum that many of the lawn fetilizers are for St. Augustine grasses and if they are used on Bahia lawns the grass can suffer as a result. I figured if I put in the Floratam plugs in my Bahia lawn and treat the lawn as if it were St. Augustine that I could eventually have a good looking lawn. Am I on to something or did I ramble on for nothing?? LOL Any input(good or bad) is welcome.

Comments (2)