SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rutgers1_gw

Thoughts on this mixed synthetic/organic program?

rutgers1
16 years ago

My neighbor (the one I always seem to talk about on here) and I are obsessed with our lawns. It started with me and then spread over to him. In fact, I think he is getting worse than me lately, as I not only saw him mulch mowing his leaves yesterday, but then mulch mowing all nearby leaves in the street so that, in case they blew onto his property, they would be more likely to decompose and not smother his new KBG!

Anyway, for the past few years, he has had an organic landscaper taking care of his property with less than stellar results. They didn't do any overseeding, so all bare spots filled with weeds. In September, he completely renovated with KBG. As he plans for the first year with the new grass, I think that he will choose an organic/synthetic hybrid. I am thinking of doing the same thing. I typed up a sample plan for him today and gave it to his wife (who shook her head and told me that we were both crazy!). What do you think:

March 15: Scotts Step 1 (fertilizer with crabgrass control)

May 1: Scotts Organic Choice Lawn Food (spot spray weeds "as necessary")

Sept 1: Scotts Organic Choice Lawn Food (spot spray weeds "as necessary")

October 1: Scotts Organic Choice Lawn Food (spot spray weeds "as necessary")

November 15: Scotts Step 4 (winterizer)

My main goal was to keep him away from Scotts steps 2 and 3, since they are only useful if you have a major problem, plus they tend to cause more problems than they correct (by damaging the micro herd). I know I could have recommended soy bean meal or some other grain, but I don't think he would want to apply a dusty grain, or haul his butt over to our not-so-local feed store. For his first year, I think something pelletized like the Scotts is a good choice.

What do you think?

Comments (6)