SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neil_allen_gw

Does Frobisher still ring any bells?

neil_allen
17 years ago

Today's Times of London reports on a project to make old telephone directories available on the web as an aid to historical research, and notes that many public figures listed their numbers until well into the the 20th century, even though unlisted numbers ("ex directory) were available as early as the 1880s.

What struck me were the names of the exchanges - Victoria (Bram Stoker could be reached at Victoria ), Museum (Virginia Wolfe, Lyton Strachy and John Maynard Keynes had Museum listings, and I think Bloomsbury is close to the British Museum) Tate Gallery (Ian Fleming) Kensington (P.G. Wodehouse), Hampstead (Sigmund Freud) Temple Bar (John Gielgud) and Frobisher (Alfred Hitchcock, among others).

I suspect all these names are gone now, replaced by digits -- or are they?

When I reached the age when kids made their own phone calls, we were a MUseum exchange, named for the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. Some friends were on the MIdway exchange (the old Midway from the Comumbian Exposition was about a block and a half from my house), and there was a HYde Park exchange, the name of the neighborhood. Most of my friends has fairly generic exchanges, though, that you could find in dozens of communities -- Butterfield 8-, Plaza 2, and so on.

By the time I was married and bought a house, I didn't bother back-translating my new 624- exchange to OAkwood, the name of the area adjacent to Kenwood, my current neighborhood.

I still think HYde Park 3- as I dial Ribs 'N' Bibs for my weekly barbeque fix and FAirfax 4- when one of my friends is in town staying with his mom and like many Chicagoans, the war chant "Call MOhawk four-four-one-hundred, C-E-T for tel-e-vision" can still sound in my noggin for no reason at all..

So -- does anyone know if the named exchanges still exist in England, and did anyone ever have an especially evocative or appropriate telephone exchange?

Here is a link that might be useful: Times Story

Comments (11)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions