SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grizzle49

advice on replacing crabgrass lawn with desirable lawn

grizzle49
10 years ago

My lawn is probably 60-75% crabgrass. I aererated and seeded this fall and have got some decent grass coming up through my thick crabgrass turf.

My question is around what to do next. In my mind I have two options.

1. Use the strongest possible preemergent I can find in the spring and nurse the existing grass the best I can while seeking and destroying any weeds that come along during the summer and overseeding again in the fall. My fear with this option is that I will have a mud yard until the following season(I have a 95 lb bocer dog that hangs out in the back yard alot)

2. Doing a "dormant overseeding" in late winter and using one of the preemergents that allows grass seed to germinate. My fear here is that these preemergents will not be strong enough to battle the crabgrass and other weeds I have. Guys, I have got some blue ribbon crabgrass over here. I have a feeling it's not going to be easy to get rid of. I probably should have nuked the whole yard and started over this fall but I didn't want to have to give the dog a bath every time he goes outside.

Whatdya think? Thanks in advance.

Comments (5)