SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
intelinside1

Advice for Killing Lawn and replacing with Succulents

intelinside1
10 years ago

Hi I'm in coastal Los Angeles. I wanted to kill the city grass between the sidewalk and road. So its a fairly small space about 3 feet by 20 feet approximately.

I was wondering whats the best way to 1. kill the grass and 2. mound the terrain for better drainage

For 1. Killing Grass I thought I would try the newspaper method by putting newspaper and mulch (gravel) over the grass then throw soil on.

I was also thining for building mounds I would reuse plastic bottles. Save some up and put them under neath the newspapers I use to kill the grass.

I would stack a lot high mix plastic bottles, mulch, other trash/ compost and then throw gravel/soil/gritty mix and plant them. This would build up the terrain and allow for better drainage.

Anyone think this reuse of trash/ plastic bottles/ mulch would be good to build up the terrain? I'm guessing that over time it would compress down. Also I'd use larger rocks or bricks to create a 'raised' walla bout 6 inches high around it to help with erosion.

ANy ideas would be great or advice from someone who has done something similar would be appreciated... thanks!

Comments (20)