SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrewm2211

Want to replace lawn with xeriscape, need advice

andrewm2211
9 years ago

Hi All, I posted something similar in lawn care but didn't quite get the help I needed. I live in LA and between the water bills and the drought I have decided to tear out my grass and put in some nice looking succulents.

So here's my plan please tell me if i'm making a mistake or let me know if you have any useful tips. Thanks in advance.(for what it's worth I searched the topic extensevley)

Step 1. Kill grass. I just turn off the sprinklers. I plan on undertaking this project in december. i feel like it will be adequate time to starve the grass out.

Step 2. Rototill it out. How deep should I go, I read between 4-6 inches?

Step 3. Planting. This is where I have the most questions I plan to test my soils ph and by plants accordingly. After tearing up the grass I heard mixed opinions on laying down weed cover. I heard it inteferes with drainage etc. for plants. Should I just avoid. I plan on using decomposed grainte for goundcover. I heard it keeps out most weeds and the only weeds that grow are topical and can be managed.

My other big question is, do I compact the soil at all? If so before and after i put in the ground cover. I imagine compactint is bad for drainage. Will I just have to manage the area and fill in un even areas as time goes on?

Thanks.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County