SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
churchvillegardener

Lawn service has girdled my trees. Need advice on replacement.

I'm just sick about this. Last summer I discovered why so many of my trees were dying/doing poorly. The lawn service hired people who weed whacked my young trees and cut the bark deeply.

Every one of my trees has been harmed to some degree, and the owner has a "well I've seen some amazing things. Let's put some tar and paper tape and see what happens".

Well, no. Everything remaining is girdled between 30% to 95%. I know from this experience and from reading on line that trees may limp along forever and never be right. I don't intend to wait a decade before having him replace what's eventually going to die or never recover.

How should I best handle this? I have a beautiful Japanese Maple which is cut about a third around. I don't want to chop it down if it has a chance, but neither do I want to waste years of growth if it's best replaced.

He said he'd make good, but he's reluctant to spend more than he needs. From my POV, he's lucky I didn't sue him for the thousands upon thousands of dollars due to negligence.

Opinions?

Comments (15)