SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vette1966

Indiana Lawn problems & get well plan

14 years ago

I live in central Indiana and 10 years ago, I spot seeded my new lawn with PenningtonÂs contractor grade lawn seed. The seed was advertised to germinate quickly, blend in well and provide a beautiful lawn. Unfortunately, the seed contained tall fescue 31which is a very fast growing undesirable thick bladed grass that grows in clumps & looks terrible in a rye and bluegrass lawn.

I recently purchased a pull behind lawn sprayer & applied a strong mixture of glyphosate with a hand sprayer to the problem areas. It has been 4 days since the application & still no dead fescue 31. Has anyone use glyphosate to kill fescue 31? How long do I have to wait until the fescue 31 dies? Is only a single application required? How long do I have to wait until I can reseed?

I plan to rent a slit-seeder and reseed the entire lawn. Does anyone have any tips to share about the slit-seeder? Does it work well? How long will to take to reseed an acre of grass?

I plan to use ScottÂs contractorÂs seed because it contains ~30% annual rye and germinates in 7 days. It is my understanding it will die out over the winter & I will be left with a bluegrass, perennial rye & creeping red fescue. Does anyone have any experience with this seed? IÂm seeking a thin bladed, no weed, lawn made up of rye, bluegrass and creeping red fescue.

Any advice on my lawn get well project will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for helping!

Andy

Comments (4)