SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chefjbs

Lawn newbie needs help.

chefjbs
11 years ago

Hello all,

I am a new homeowner and my wife and I recently moved to MA (south shore) from NJ. We never had a lawn before, mostly apartment living and the sorts. Now we have a small cape cod style house with a small patch of lawn. The lawn is about 40'X125' give or take a couple feet. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on rejuvenating my lawn.

Here is the low down about the lawn. Before we bought the house it was over grown with large oak trees and a sugar maple, not to mention some pesky Norway maples. We took down all the norway maples and trimmed up the trees about 35' to get them off of the roof. We also cut down a lot of brush and weed wacked the hell out of the ground ivy creeping in from the neighbors lawn. I also sprayed 41% glysophate solution (5 oz mixed with 2 gallions water) on the ground ivy roots/stems to try and kill them off. After that i am going to pull them up. So now there is a large patch of bare ground where the ivy is and the rest of the lawn is a mix dead and semi-dead grass. I really haven't taken care of the lawn since we bought the house in August. As for the soil it self, i still have to have someone take a look at it. Not sure if it is clay/sandy/loam etc... to me dirt looks like dirt(the trouble with city living).

So should I tear it all out and start over? should i hit it with more herbicide and kill it all? Rent the sod cutter and start over? Need some help even though i know it may be a little late in the fall season to do any seeding.

Could I kill the lawn with herbicide and then till everything with some new topsoil/manure? BTW, i am not a lawn perfectionist, but i would like a nice plot of green. Any cost effective suggestions would be greatly apprecated to a lawn care newbie.

Comments (9)