SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alexh1000

Creeping Red fescue dead blades

alexh1000
13 years ago

Hi,

I overseeded KBG with Creeping Red fescue (Lustrous) last year on a lawn that only gets 2-3 hrs sunlight/day. It's much better than the KBG which seems to have died out in most areas. It's very thick and I mow it at about 2.5" but when you examine the blades you can that about 10-25% are dead in most areas and this gives it a slightly brown cast. I can't really connect the severity with areas of less or more sun.

Perhaps the heat may be causing partial dormancy. I don't recall if it was better or worse last winter. When I sample the soil it looks uniformally moist(I apply about 2" per week in the summer). It grows very fast for CRF - I have to mow once a week.

Or could it be that CRF gives up on some blades eventually and perhaps an occasional close mow may help to shorten these? I put down some Osmocote and I apply nitrogen in early spring only. I should do a soil test because I know the native soil here tends to alkaline.

Anyhow, it looks much better than the KBG overall which required copious amounts of water and fertilizer.

Just some background - I installed KBG sod on this spot several years ago and it looked great in the summer but in winter it went dormant and it would not green up until April-May. I know this is opposite of what would be expected for my area but I think it's because of the lack of sun. In the winter, with large 2-story houses all around and the lower sun angle the light hitting the lawn decreases quite a bit.

{{gwi:120481}}

Comments (2)