SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beddy3484

New Lawn seed dying after 4 beautiful weeks of growth!!!???

beddy3484
11 years ago

A little background.....I first attempted to plant grass seed in this area during the summer, and after 3-4 weeks the grass died out. I attributed its death to the extremely hot weather we had over this summer and weed take over of the area.

So I decided to try and plant again during the fall. Prior to seeding I completely raked over the area and got rid of all the weeds, and I sent my soil in for a test. The test came back with a PH of around 5.5 so I added lime to the area.

I then seeded the area with a "Contractor's All Purpose Mix", and put down Starter Fertilizer. I watered twice a day for 15 minutes for the first couple weeks, and then I switched to watering once a day for 30 minutes. I plan on reducing my watering to every other day at the end of this week.

For the first 4 weeks the grass grew beautifully. I was pretty excited. The grass was around 4 inches so I took a couple days off from watering so the soil would be dry enough to mow. I mowed the lawn very carefully, and the grass continued to look good for a couple days after mowing.

Over the last 3 days the grass looks like it is starting to die out again like it did during the summer. Except this time there is no heat, and there are no weeds! I don't know what is going on, and I'm going crazy trying to figure out the cause. Can someone please help me out?

Thank you,

Dan

Bowie, Maryland 20715

Comments (14)