SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mchad21

Another POA question..

mchad21
16 years ago

Another question concerning PoaÂ

SF Bay Area. I have a tall fescue lawn from sod, 3 years old. Recently aerated, overseeded with Scotts Premium Tall Fescue Mix at the end of August.

I am now seeing some good stands coming up, but am also seeing something that, at first, I thought was Poa. Upon further inspection, it appears not to be poa, for the following reasons (let me know if I am off base):

1. It is not bright green.

2. The seed heads are not low to the ground

3. I cannot find the Âscotch tape characteristic on any of the stalks

4. It does not look or feel like a weed. It blends in and does not grow from the center (not clumpy)

However, the Âgrass does come up in specific areasÂnot so much clumps but not really Âmixed with the existing fescue, at least not yet. Then again, this is also happening with the fescue standsÂprobably just where the seed germinates?

Also, I remember seeing what looked like poa during the spring on other lawns in the neighborhoodÂwhitish tint, low seed heads, different color green. I donÂt see much of it now though. Does poa grow at this time of the year (late fall)?

If it is not poa, it definitely is KGBÂhow it got there IÂm not sure. Only thing I can think of is that some KGB seed was mixed in the tall fescue mix. How likely is this to be the case? I apologize for not have pictures; IÂm almost positive itÂs KGB though.

Thanks all !

Comments (20)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm