SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pk74_gw

Mud mud mud - I was kidding about salting the earth - plz assist!

pk74
15 years ago

There is a spot of yard behind my house that receives NO direct sunlight. Unfortunately, it is directly behind the basement garage door - the same one that I use to get the mowers in and out, let the dogs in and out, replace wheels on my wagon (grrr), etc.

When we moved in last year, the grass/manicured weeds were already very very thin. After installing the fence and introducing the dogs to the backyard (who absolutely LOVE the mud, btw), what little grass I had in this forever shady area is long gone. I've soil tested, planted, replanted, tried sod, was even going to try planting the big white dog you see in the picture there - but I cant get anything reasonable to grow there to solve my mudding issue.

I'd estimate the area to be about 16x12 feet. This is one of the very small actual level spots of ground in my entire yard - and I believe I'm about to put a concrete pad or pea gravel or something else down there.

Is there something I can plant there, that will take the abuse of the mower rolling over it twice a week, as well as the dogs wanting to lay there on their 5 times per day hourly excurions? They lvoe it cuz it's always cool, moist, and of course, they think the mud looks fabulous on their white fluffy coats.

http://www.kelzpop.com/gallery/main.php/d/6951-2/backyard.JPG

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (3)