SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westernmichigan

Bubble diagram assistance please!

westernmichigan
7 years ago

I'm currently in the process of working on a bubble diagram for my future home, and would love any advice those here have to offer. We've already purchased two acres of land, and are looking to build a two story, traditional style home. The land is nearly flat, but slightly rising toward the North (sorry, no survey yet). The lot also has it's best views facing in the same direction.

I've attached the "lay of the land" indicating our lot lines, and set backs (dashed along the tree-line). Each bubble is representative of the general size for each room. The foyer will include a staircase, and I'm hoping to have bedrooms placed on top of the office/nursery, dining room and kitchen.

I guess my main concerns currently are circulation and maximizing the amount of natural daylight (it's cold here). This may possibly necessitate flipping the location of the master bathroom and bedroom, or Kitchen and Dining. However, maximizing diffuse light in both would be preferable.

Through the wonders of google Earth, I've also included the outlines for both neighbors garages (both face our lot). Additionally, since we're on a cul-de-sac and traffic will arrive from the West, I've placed the garage to the East.

I would like suggestions on the following:

- Does the proximity of each room to one another look correct? We're a young couple, ready to begin a family soon. This explains the Nursery off the master, and Guest Bathroom/Powder Room away from the Entries and Kitchen.

- I'm assuming a wider house (60x40) is better than trying to cram everything closer together. Especially to take advantage of natural sunlight.

- The laundry is placed well away from the master, but closer to the Kid's bedrooms. This helps keep things quiet and puts the bulk of laundry nearer where it will be generated.

- We're planning on aging in place, so I'm locating the private areas to the West, and public areas to the East.

- Is there any wisdom in moving the staircase between the master and living room? It would be completely blocked off from the sun, but would make accessing the upstairs bedrooms simpler.

- I'm hoping to keep the Kitchen open to the living room, and want some separation between the sitting/sun room and the living area.

Again, any advice is welcome.

Comments (5)