SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
providencesparrow

Advice on bubble diagram and hot west exposure?

I'm asking a lot but would love any advice or help you could give! I want help in thinking through the hot sunlight and ways to orient the house to be almost a "reverse" passive solar. Farmhouse to be built on 20acres rural setting in Oklahoma. We are mixed/humid but have more days needing ac than heat so I'm having a hard time reconciling the best views of the house while still avoiding blazing heat. The designers I've asked just tell me "buy nice windows" but all of the wisdom here on GW has taught me surely there is more I can do!? I do plan on using a designer or architect (not a lot to choose from around here as many people just do stock plan or draw their own) but please help me with ideas on the initial bubble lay out.

-goal is ICF so minimizing expensive bumpos would be great, and fit traditional farmhouse look.

-the only bumpo that is non negotiable is the dining nook. I would love a small three sided room, how do I shade this?!

-master downstairs for aging in place

-would love the master to be at least windows on two sides, I do like master on east to let sun come in during morning.

-large walk in pantry with a baking prep needs to be directly accessed to kitchen.

-would love the laundry to connect w master closet for convinence but this is negotiable. I actually like getting to laundry/craft room via kitchen area to help me keep laundry going during daytime while I work in kitchen. Is this a horrible mistake?

- where would you place the main entry, mudroom that accesses garage walkway, small office/guest room and guest full bath?

-upstairs will be 2kids bedrooms, (teen and elementary age) plus a causal family room for tv watching.

- want* a two sided fireplace. I love the idea of it heating both the kitchen and living room with one fire. I love the idea of a small hearth area in kitchen.

Comments (25)