SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jally1

Non-digital Window AC bubbling sounds and grit+cobwebs

jally
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi, all. I actually have two identical 5000 BTU Frigidaire AC's, both used approx. the same amount of time. Sample pic: https://www.americanfreight.com/br/pdp/frigidaire-fra052xt7-5-000-btu-room-air-conditioner/43598

Both were bought 2011. Both are operational - and cooling properly, at Max. Temp. setting, mostly on Low Cool, but occasional High Cool when very hot outside. Both with filters maintained regularly. They're both situated under the front eaves of house. Yet only one of them periodically makes bubbling sounds, and (during those bubbling times) gets cobwebby at the vents (in front of filter), with gritty looking dirt within the innards.

Could it be weather related? As recently there was a hurricane. Or is it something else? Note that during the bubbling noise, i checked outside, and saw water dripping periodically from the AC down to the grass. It's not dripping inside the house, but the innards (behind the fins) looked wet and dirty.

Please see attached pics, to see what i mean.

The bubbling AC is about three ft. from East side of house, thus perhaps more exposed to severe rain than the other AC.

The NON-bubbling-sounding AC is about six ft. from West side of house. BTW, my usual appliance repairman only does central-air, not room air conditioners. So i don't know which guy to call, if any.

NOTE ATTACHED IS CUT OFF ABOVE "FRIGIDAIRE". To see vents AND wet innard dirt, click the pic.

Comments (6)