SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kbuilding

House plan/bubble diagram review please!

Dede
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

First time builders with a sketch of what we are thinking - probably more of a detailed bubble diagram at this point as it isn't yet an architectural rendering. Would love some input at this point though, this forum has been so helpful so I finally decided to post!

A few notes:

* There is a peek-a-boo west-facing mountain view, especially from the 2nd floor, I realize I didn't draw in doors/windows along that top line of the house, which is the west wall - there would be windows, French doors onto a patio.

* Topography forces the long layout as opposed to something more square

* Stairs - we ended up pulling the stairs from the entryway to help make the media room feel a little more separate from the kitchen/rest of the house - we don't usually see stairs NOT in the entry - is there a reason for this?

* Family of 5, 3 young kids, mom works at home and often have guests in town

* We know bedrooms are small, we prefer this to more communal space

* Is the bathroom too close to the kitchen?

* Garage - we are currently thinking a detached garage off the mud room (left of drawing) - is there already a thread to major pros/cons of detached vs attached garages? We are looking for a farmhouse look so the separate garage seems to work better and allows for a future MIL adu.

* Laundry upstairs - seems so much more convenient, but is also rare - is this just in case of water issues? How much of a no-no is this?

Thanks for any/all input!

Comments (6)