SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Stray dog bit DH

catherinet
15 years ago

Hi all,

We found a dog hanging around our porch the other day. It was a sweet-looking dog, but extremely thin and had tons of burrs in its coat. (We live out in the country).

We called around the area, and nobody seemed to know anything about it.

DH went out last evening to see if it had any identification on its collar, and unfortunately (and stupidly), he didn't have any gloves on. He went at the dog too fast, and the dog nipped his hand. Nice going hubby.

He just had a pin-head sized red spot on his hand, but I thought it was probably just enough to get rabies, if the dog had them. So we went to the ER. They gave him a tetanus shot and said someone from the Sheriff's department would come out and get the dog, and keep it somewhere for 10 days. Well, we found out since we live in the county, there's nobody to do this.

So the dog is tied up on our front porch. Hopefully tomorrow when I call the Health Department, they will give me some names of places that might watch it and then place it somewhere.

Fortunately, they just started up a humane society in our county, so maybe they can help.

I don't know what kind of dog this is. She is brown and beige and black and about 40-50#. But her voice is strange. She makes weird noises before she barks....almost like a howling. It almost sounds like a hound dog. She has the sweetest face.

Supposedly there haven't been any cases of rabies in this county for years....but I wasn't going to take that chance.

Why do people abandon their animals? Its just not right.

We just can't keep it. Already, our present dog is going NUTS all the time, when it sees or hears the dog on the porch.

Fortunately, its warmer this week.

Comments (8)