SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lazyocd

7 grass seed varieties compared over a year

lazyocd
14 years ago

I couldn't decide which grass seed to go with, so I planted 7 different varieties in side-by-side rows in my front yard and figured I'd track which one worked best. Also, I tried out bentgrass in a patch on the side. I took some pictures during the good and bad times over the course of the year.

Besides watering and fertilizing during the initial seeding, I didn't water, fertilize, or pesticide the grass. The grass probably would have done much better had I done some watering in the summer, but I'm apparently too lazy for that.

Perhaps someone else will benefit from looking at how these grass seeds performed in a just about zero-maintenance setting in Northern VA. Also, I wonder if anyone has opinions on which row of grass they like best.

I got all the grass seeds from SuperSeedStore in last fall (2008) and planted them around Oct 1, 2008, after killing and tilling the previous lawn and adding compost. The area gets full sun for the most part.

Link to PhotoBucket album is at the bottom.

The grass rows, from right to left when looking at the house. The following descriptions are copied from my order. I deleted the prices and quantities because I'm embarrassed at how much I spent/wasted on this little experiment.

1) Gotham Hard Fescue

Gotham hard fescue matches the outstanding performance of Spartan II hard fescue in the NTEP trials.

Seeding Rate: 4 lbs./1,000 sq. feet

2) SS 8000 blend

SS8000 IMPROVED

This three way blend of superior hard fescue varieties (Gotham, Predator and Minotar) is designed for steep slopes and other areas where limited mowing is desired. For use north of the Mason-Dixon line, or anywhere Kentucky bluegrass is adapted.

3) SS1000

This superior quality blend of five of the top tall fescue varieties in the most recent national trials is the finest tall fescue blend available anywhere. Contains equal parts Rebel IV, Inferno, Padre, Justice, and 2nd Millennium.

8 lbs/ 1000 square feet

4) SS1100

This four-way blend of Midnight II, Bedazzled, NuDestiny and Freedom III Kentucky Bluegrass is ideal for overseeding existing bluegrass lawns. It can also be combined with perennial ryegrass and fine fescue to make a great sunny lawn mix for Northern growing conditions. SS1100 provides increased genetic diversity, and better overall disease protection, compared to a single Kentucky bluegrass variety.

Seeding Rate: 2 lbs./1,000 sq. feet

1. SS6000

SS6000 NEW IMPROVED

This superior mixture combines superior shade tolerant fine fescues with a shade tolerant Kentucky bluegrass to produce beautiful turf under moderate shade conditions. SS6000 contains 20% each of Gotham hard fescue, Zodiac chewings fescue, Garnet creeping red fescue, Intrigue chewings fescue and Brilliant shade tolerant bluegrass.

6) Midnight Kentucky Bluegrass

Midnight has set the standard for outstanding bluegrass performance for over 20 years. Insist on Certified Midnight Kentucky bluegrass!

7) Zodiac Chewings Fescue 5 lbs. containers Outstanding turfgrass quality in all parts of the country with very good disease resistance.

8) Penncross Creeping Bentgrass

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of 7 different grasses

Comments (11)