SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hines_gw

varieties for next year's garden

hines
16 years ago

I have recieved several new seed catalogues and have tentatively selected some varieties for next years planting. I am a basic practical nearly organic gardener who grows enough for the family in 10 raised 8x4 plots. I would like some feedback on my selections and what varieties some of the rest of the group is planting and why.

Beans--Roma II repeat from last year, great crop of tasty italian style (park seeds) Tendercrop repeat from last year heavy yield of stringless beans.

Beets--Red Cloud (pinetree seeds) my beet crop was a total failure last year.

Csrrots--Nelson Hybrid (park seeds)

Sweet Corn--Sweet temptation (park seeds) repeat from last year a very early delightful bi-color

Lettuce--Pintree mix, Green Ice and Red Sail and Plato II (cos) pinetree seeds

Onions--evergreen bunching (pinetree seeds)

Peas--mr. big, tall telephone and cascadia (snap pea) looking for a stringless variety (pinetree seeds)

Summer Squash -- Horn of Plenty yellow crookneck, and sable beauty zukes.

Winter Squash --early butternut

Spinach-- avon (burpee) and overlooked aas winner that is a repeat from last year and bloomsdale long standing again repeated from last year it gave me a very heavy fall crop.

Plants from local nursery

Brussel Sprouts--Jade Cross

Broccoli--Premium crop

peppers--giant marconi and a green bell of some type

Tomatoes--whatever looks good at the time

eggplant--dusky

and of course the pride of my garden my jersey giant and purple passion asparagus just sitting in the frozen ground ready to burst forth in the spring.

Comments (9)