SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fearlessem

help growing out new variety next year?

fearlessem
16 years ago

Hi all --

So this is my second year growing tomatoes in this particular garden plot. I grew about 10 different varieties of tomatoes last year, four of which were hybrids (sungold, roma, sweet 100 or sweet million, and oregon spring), and the rest of which were OP (including brandywine, eva purple ball, amish paste, cherokee purple, etc.) This year I had a huge number of volunteer seedlings. Most of the volunteers got pulled (I literally had thousands!) but a few I transplanted and let grow out, just for kicks. I was thrilled to find that a few of the volunteers grew into the most wonderful tomato -- and something unlike any of the tomatoes I grew last year...

This new tomato (I'll call it Emily's Two Bite?) is red, about 1.5 inches in diameter (like a two-bite cherry). What was really outstanding though was the flavor -- both sweet (but not as sugary as a sungold) and tart, with a really rich tomato flavor packed in there. I think it may have been the best tomato I grew this year! It was also quite vigorous -- in fact one of the seedlings was a volunteer I missed that grew to full size up between two Kelloggs Breakfast plants -- and it still produced quite a yield despite the competition!

I've saved a bunch of seed, and was hoping a few people might be willing to help me grow it out next year and see if I can stabilize it?

Many thanks in advance...

Emily

PS -- oh, one more question. The seed I saved was all from unblemished fruit, but I do have some that split after a torrential rain -- can I save more seeds from tomatoes that have split, or does that raise the possibility that the seeds would somehow have been contaminated?

Comments (3)