SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ali_b1

Veggie and Flower Varieties on your keeper list for next year

ali-b
13 years ago

Yesterday marked the 30 day mark until the average first frost date for my area. That started me thinking about what I would plant again next year. Some definite keepers:

4th of July Tomato (burpee) - picked the first tomato at the end of June! They are smallish but dark red and juicy. And, still producing abundantly. I discovered that in the morning after walking the dogs, hubby was stopping in the garden to eat some fresh from the vine.

Big Daddy Pepper (burpee) - what a producer! I've been picking some green and am finally getting some yellow ones. They're long and not as fat as a bell pepper.

Biker Billy Jalapeno (burpee) - Also very productive and a nice plump size. I picked my first red one yesterday.

Hansel and Gretel Asian Eggplant (Johnny's) - Poor things are riddled by flea betters but producing like champs. Hansel is black and gretel is white. Makes a great caponata.

Elephant head Amaranth (Seeds of Change) - I only have about 5 of them but they are huge (a little over 5'). The flower heads are a beautiful burgundy red. Only drawback is that some pest really likes the leaves and they're a bit full of holes.

What's going back in your potager? I'm especially interested in a different variety of cucumber (a non-bitter type that cuke beetles won't destroy), a tasty variety of broccoli and a summer squash that isn't hit as hard by svb.

Comments (6)

Sponsored