SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beckyinrichmond

patching bare spots in new lawn

beckyinrichmond
15 years ago

This is the first time I've ever completely renovated a lawn, killing everything with Roundup, bringing in new topsoil, etc. The grass was planted last Tues/Wed and we had rain Thursday and Friday. Some of the seed may have washed and so I expect there may be some bare places. I have lots of seed left so I could put more out. But how? I know you're not supposed to walk on the germinating grass and that new seed should be raked in so there's good soil contact. But how do you put new seed out in bare places without stepping on the new grass and crushing it? Raking would disturb the new seedlings, so how do you get soil contact for this additional seed? I watered yesterday but not for long as the sprinkler water quickly puddled and started running down the yard. I think I'll just use the hose on a wide, light spray and wet the surface several times a day instead of using the sprinkler. At least until some grass comes up to keep the sprinkler water from washing so quickly. How long should I wait before trying to fix bare places? Do I just toss the seed on top or should I try to work it in somehow?

Comment (1)