SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dac_in_ontario

Disease or Insects: Your Diagnosis? (with pics! )

dac_in_ontario
16 years ago

Hi there,

Hoping the lawn scholars here can help me out. I have what I think is disease or insect damage in two areas of my lawn. The pics are below, with close-ups of grass blades.

Let me provide some details first:

GENERAL:

This is a cool-season lawn (zone 5a) planted from sod about 5 years ago.

Late August and early September were pretty much the norm up here. Temperatures cooled and had some rain. BUT, since then, the rest of the month has had unusually high temps and pretty much no rain until yesterday.

AREA 1:

The past couple of years, I sometimes notice spots of yellow, bleached out grass after I mow. They are circular and about 4 or 5 inches in diameter. On a lawn of about 8,000 sq ft. I might see two or three spots after mowing. I have assumed they were insect related, because two years ago the lawn suffered large patches of dead grass, which a neighbor informed me was likely chinch bug or sod webworms or grubs.

I have sprayed these spots with lawn insecticide. I have had a little more lawn damage this year, not necessarily from those spots, but certainly close to them. Could also have been drought (damage is in sunny areas) or now I suspect disease? Take a look and let me know what you think?

AREA 2:

This was a patch I repaired from bare ground a couple of weeks ago. I was hand watering twice a day for several minutes. A few days ago I noticed yellowing of the existing grass around the edges of the repaired patch. Another reseeded patch close by shows no yellowing of edges. Unfortunately, I did have to do the second daily watering at night, so I wonder if the existing grass got too wet and grew fungus? See the pics and tell me your thoughts?

P.S. If you see a whitish ring around the repaired patch, it's not powdery mildew, but insecticide I sprayed.

Much thanks!

{{gwi:115692}}

{{gwi:115694}}

{{gwi:115695}}

{{gwi:115696}}

Comments (9)