SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crombold_gw

Autumn Prep for Spring Leveling?

crombold
10 years ago

Hello All,
I've recently discovered this website and have been reading for weeks trying to absorb all the information I can. By far the most informative site I've been able to find to date. But the more I read, the more opinions I come across that vary slightly. Rather than trying to piece together a plan, I thought it would be best to jump in and join the discussions.

Background about me; I was born and raised in Kansas. While living there, my dad and I worked a lot on the yard but everything I knew about lawn care went out the window when I got my own place in central Texas and a southern grass type. My house is brand new, and has the typical problems that everyone has with contractors; it has no organic matter, is extremely unlevel (mower bottoms out in some bad spots at 2.5"), and the soil is rock solid. Digging any holes for plants requires a breaking bar to loosen the rock and seemingly rock solid soil even if no rocks are present.

So here's why I'm writing. I've read all about sand-leveling, and am convinced this is what I need to do late next spring. However, I've been stumbling along the fertilizing path for the several months I've lived here as I've never had a lawn with bermuda (419). As fall is approaching, I'm wondering if there is anything special I need to do to the lawn as a early prep for the sand leveling next year? For example, do I aerate and try to work some compost in now to get air and organic matter worked into the ground prior to it going dormant to help its roots out?

For the numbers, I sent some soil samples off to Texas A&M for analysis, and I received the following results;

1. pH = 8.2
2. Nitrate = 12 ppm
3. Phosphorus = 24 ppm
4. Potassium = 277 ppm
5. Calcium = 19,632 ppm
6. Magnesium = 377 ppm
7. Sulfur = 25 ppm

From those results, my potassium, calcium, magnesium, and sulfur are high above the critical levels so I know I need to avoid those. Do I put the typical 1 lb N/1000 sqft, or, knowing that I'm sanding next spring should I do something different?

I'm at a complete loss right now. I can tell you just what the grass is doing in Kansas right now and what to expect during the fall/winter, but have no idea what's in store for me here in Texas. Would really appreciate any pointers/help/plan. Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)