SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oscarlawn

Some advice/clarificaitions on my lawn/overseeding

oscarlawn
16 years ago

I have been reading up the past week or so on everyone's overseeding advice.

I have a few questions.

In short, my front yard stinks. I am embarrassed because I am a teacher who has most of summer free and I still failed. No excuses. I reseeded some dead areas last fall and they looked great. I have used Scott's to get rid of weeds but it hasn't seemed to work. Admittedly, I have only used the step 2 of Scott's program. I've used Menards brand the other seasons. Toward the middle of summer I had major yellowing and dying in big areas. They did not come back and weeds galore have taken place. I confess I did not water this summer.

After reading this forum I decided to RU the front yard weeds. I took my pump sprayer and spent a long time going over every weed and really thick bladed grass that I didn't like. I did this on Aug. 23. The weeds are turning brown and yellow and appear to be dying.

Sunday I rented an aerator and went crazy with it, making multiple runs. It was actually kind of fun.

From what I read, I'm hearing I should now fertilize, and then slit seed. I have also read I should cover the seed with compost, peat moss, or straw(weed free).

Questions

What fertilizer should I use?

Is this seed okay for me? Seedland ELITE Bluegrass Mix - 25 LBS. / With 40% Midnight Bluegrass + 40% Per. Ryegrass + 20% C.Red (I'm on a budget)

How can I make sure that the straw I buy at Lowe's is weed free?

Which is cheaper route for covering seeds? Peat moss, compost, or straw?

Thanks so much. I have learned so much just lurking, but I know my window of opportunity may be closing and I want to continue to get my lawn in shape.

Please feel free to tell it to me straight, I won't get my feelings hurt.

Thanks again

Comments (14)