SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

Rambling Thread Dedicated to the End of Spring

calliope
14 years ago

It's winding down, it surely is, and although I love summer more than all the other seasons, I feel a little sad to bid the spring of 2009 adieu. Spring is always welcome and beautiful, but this year ......... especially so. In about twenty six hours, it'll be history. I hate to see the days grow shorter, they don't seem to be long enough as it is.

I peeked into a house wren's nest today. There were only two or three tiny babies, and unlike the Carolina wrens, they opened their little beaks in total silence. The wrens scoped out my greenhouses and chose the most beautiful pendulous begonia basket I had in which to build. That means the poor plant has gone without water for over two weeks now and if it survives until the babies fledge, I'll be surprised.

The magnificent storm fronts moving across the country from Canada to Mexico somehow split apart like the Red Sea when they hit our county and went above and below us. We still NEED RAIN!

Lightning bugs are out in full force. They sit atop every weed and flower and take off en masse when dusk hits. We have dragonflies large enough to carry payloads. An old cavity tree nearby is abuzz. Literally. Feral bees have claimed it for a honey tree. I have not seen a wild bee honey tree in over forty years. I dared not go close enough to tell if the flying critters were yellowjackets or German wasps, but a couple of them have strayed into an open window of the house, and a close-up inspection of them revealed the tell-tale yellow fuzz, and pollen sacs on the legs. Amid hive collapse, varoa and tracheal mites, it's a comfort to see wild bees once again.

You can add touch pads on appliances to my growing list of abominations in the modern manufacturing world. Right up there with nylon gears and electronic ignitions. My relatively expensive, relatively new dishwasher we installed when we renovated our kitchen has a sick touch pad. The protective cover has worn off over the 'on' button and the pad has started to peel away from the front of the appliance, revealing the circuitry imprinted on pieces of plastic ribbon. Argh. It died for the second time in a week and even though I am a 'repair it' person, I think a trip to find a unit with a dial on it is in order.

And why, given the cool, moist spring, did my radishes turn out to be hard as a ballbat and slightly less pungent than a habenero?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
More Discussions