SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westsider129

Dedicated baker looking for help with single wall oven

westsider129
13 years ago

I will have a 36" gas Capital Range, and I'm looking for a single wall oven for the kitchen redo I'm planning. I do a lot of entertaining, and I'll use the wall oven primarily for baking. I bake at least weekly, including bread, as well as all the usual dessert items. So I'm really looking for an oven that bakes well. Been lurking on the site for awhile and a lot of the threads I've checked out re: wall ovens focus on functions other than baking. I want to know if it's worth it to choose an oven that has a proof function (been baking for years without it, but it might be nice). And I care deeply about even baking. Price is a consideration, but I'm willing to splurge. But do I need to spend for the Miele Masterchef (for example) if what I really care about is the baking?

Comments (44)

• dcunited_2009
    13 years ago

Consider BlueStar for both the range and wall oven. I own the 36' range and it is awesome. I bought mine in 2005 and they have updated it whereby you might want to take a looksie! Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: BlueStar

• plllog
    13 years ago

My price is no object recommendation is Gaggenau. It's very precise.

Miele Masterchef is very well regarded here.

Search on rhome410 for her recent oven experiences.

Also search on cotehele.

• Related Discussions

Single Wolf L-series wall oven with Miele speed oven above

Q

Comments (10)
    First , let me be the FIRST to say, I do not claim to be a Kitchen Designer or Kitchen Architech, alto I did design our curved kitchen--soooo----keeping the "above" in mind, here are 2 things that would "bother me" about stacking a Miele Speed Oven over a wolf Oven. (1) The wolf seems to have a bluish to white display, whilst the Miele Speed Oven is definitely on the orange-reddish side. That would probably really bug me. (2) The Wolf Control panel-display is about the same width as the black & glass area of the door (IE appears as "full width"), whilst the Miele has that smaller window type display area. Again one being directly above the other probably would bug me a bit. As I said , there are far more talented ppl here (design-wise) so maybe they can chime in. To Me the Elux Speed Oven would be a far better match (Lookswise),It has the full width display/control area the display (when lit is blue) and only a white clock shows when the display disappears (if not used for a couple of mins). The Elux Speed oven does not broil and uses a turntable---not a problem for me, but of course , I can't answer for you. You can see both Speed Ovens in use baking potatoes, Mojavean with his Miele and Me with my Elux. I put a link to the GW Post, where you can find The Great Potato Race. Again good luck on your decision and I hope my eye (Old as it may be), will encourage others to either agree with me, or tell me to take a KD Course!!! Gary Here is a link that might be useful: Miele and Elux Speed ovens in Operation
    ...See More

Looking for good performing 30" single wall oven

Q

Comments (11)
    The Bosch speed oven seems to be limited compared to the Advantium. Bosch only has 9 automatic speed programs, Advantium has a ton more, I'm not sure how many. You can read the owners manuals of all these ovens online (which by the way you should do before you buy any appliance). No love for Electrolux? Their Icon line would honestly be my pick. And you can also get Pro-style handles if you're into that look. If you want their "Designer" look you would stack the E30SO75ESS speed oven over the E30EW75GSS walloven. If you want pro-style stack the E30SO75FPS over the E30EW75GPS.
    ...See More

Need help with selecting single wall oven

Q

Comments (5)
    I had narrowed it down to those 2 as well. Ended up getting Electrolux wave-touch (mounted under counter). I really like it so far, but have only used it on weekends for 6 months. Heats evenly, racks are beautifully smooth gliding. The user interface is great, took no time to learn, so it is intuitive, at least for my brain. I don't have to put on my reading glasses to use it, so extra points for that. (I have not used self-cleaning and am not likely to. I don't make big messes in my oven and it just doesn't make sense to super-heat electronics, but we are a long way from a repairman)
    ...See More

HELP Electrolux or Thermador single wall oven

Q

Comments (5)
    It is odd that no one has commented on the new Electrolux ovens. It used to be a favorite. I can't imagine that they would have you remove the oven for service and the person who brought that up never returned to say what happened. If you are interested in Electrolux, I would find out specifically who would service it depending on who you buy it from and talk to the owner of the company and find out what your responsibility would be. I would ask if they see any issues with the blue enamel. I have a Wolf DF range and Electrolux WT wall oven and my Electrolux has been great. I do think it is interesting that they put the blue enamel on the racks as I would think it is much more subject to flexing and wear and tear. My initial Electrolux had blue chipping on installation and they immediately replaced the whole oven. The liner crazed and chipped after the self clean at 4.5 years and the liner was replaced under extended warranty from the dealer. Electrolux's own extended warranty does not appear to cover porcelain issues. "Cosmetic damage such as, but not limited to, scratches, dents, rust or stains. Nonfunctional parts such as, but not limited to, plastics, internal and external finishes including porcelain enamel, knobs and dials." from this https://www.protectmyappliance.com/terms You would be better of to get at least a five year warranty somewhere else but read it carefully for exclusions. It may be they have fixed the porcelain if they are using it on the racks.
    ...See More
  • westsider129
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you dcunited, I will look.

And thanks p111og for your input. While I am willing to spend, I wouldn't say that price is no object. Since it is still early in the process, I'm not yet firm on the budget for this appliance. I will try to see about cost of the Gaggenau. And I'll also check out rhome410 and cotehele.

One of the limitations I have is the electric load, since I live in an apartment in an old building. So that's why I was looking at the Capital gas range with a gas oven, and then a separate electric wall oven. While I love where I live, it does pose limits on what I can do (sigh...)

• plllog
    13 years ago

Oh! That's a different story. Gaggenau is a dream for baking in (and definitely a price is no object choice), but it, and the Miele, require dedicated 240V circuits. I think 50amp, but I get mixed up when it comes to electricity specs.

I can't advise about gas ovens. I've never baked in a really good one -- that is, I've heard that really good ones exist, but I've never had the opportunity to use one. I managed to bake in my really crappy old one, but didn't enjoy it. I can tell you that one can bake in anything if one is determined. I've baked in a covered pot (made for the purpose) on a gas ring.

I prefer an electric oven for baking, and the bakers I recommended for oven opinions have electric double ovens. The breakdown on druthers seems to be electric for baking, gas for roasting. I think either can be fine for both, but one needs to know what one is doing.

Re "proof" setting, if you've never had trouble with your rise, I wouldn't consider it in the shopping unless it was the only difference between models. If it comes with, it might be useful, but the standard simmering pot, or loaves on the dryer with the towels running, or whatever, works fine. If you struggle to get your yeasts to thrive, that's another story. BTW, I proof my yeast by putting the measuring cup on the cable box. :) I wouldn't set my loaves to rise on it because it's too warm (and it would probably be bad for the box), but it's a good passive heat source, and it might work to put one's loaves on a sheet suspended over it. Check the "proof" temperature (proofing yeast before making the dough is much less wasteful than waiting for the rise to see if it's dead, but that's what they call it...). Most are about 80-85°, I think. That's too warm for my challah.

Convection is good for multiple racks of flat things. It distributes the heat well and makes sure it gets all over. For that you want true convection, though, where the air from the fan is heated, or you can just get windy food.

I'm an odd kind of baker, I guess. I'm careful with yeast recipes, to have the weight agree with the amount of yeast, but can sort of invent cakes and pastries as I go. What I do require, however, is precise heat. I baked in the very uneven old gas oven I had, because that's what I had, but it made me nuts. Some ovens have a heat variation of +/-25° from the setting, which is just dreadful. That's what I'd be looking for in any oven. Consistent, even heat.

• macybaby
    13 years ago

I was going to recomend an oven with a proofing cycle - but if you don't ever have a problem then it may not be a big deal. I live in an old house with baseboard heat, and unless I have the wood stove going, I keep it set around 65 - not good to rise bread. In the summer I only have window AC so usually have the windows open and can't get a good consistant temp for rising bread that way either.

I started using a bread machine because it was the only reliable way I could get the bread to rise. So for me, the proofing cycle is wonderful. Seems my bread rises faster than what I expect, so I do have to keep an eye on it. DH loves it as I have even more fun trying out new things.

That and a true convection oven - but I think steam assist would be neat too. Sometimes the problem is getting everythign you want in ONE oven - seems there is always a tradeoff of some sort.

Cathy

• roxy63
    13 years ago

westsider129:

I am also looking for a gas wall oven and have not heard enough feedback about Blue Star or American Range. Both of these are gas fuel. I too want a 36" freestanding range and (1) wall oven. If I cannot find something I can feel is reliable than I may have to get a Wolf 60" range( Really wanted to separate my oven cooking areas ).

dcunited is the only person I have read about that has only positive things to say about Blue Star. I am not doubting it is true but, would feel better if I could see more feedback from posters saying they have no quality issues. Please feel free to direct me to other satisfied BS users so I can make a fairer decision.

NO OFFENSE dcunited. I really appreciated your positive comments and hope you will elaborate about your range on my post where I asked about BS and AR wall ovens.

• dcunited_2009
    13 years ago

The design of the burner as well as its position down inside the burner bowl creat a "focused" heat directly vertical onto the pot/pan. Add 22k Btu's and you have the best in the business for searing, wok cooking, boiling water (quickly), etc. The simmering is also fabulous due to the burner design. The "New" BlueStar ranges now have a single-fire ignition system. The past ignition was good, but this is better. Each burner fires independently. BlueStar ranges offer a 1850 degree broiler (ceramic infrared).....I challenge you to find a better broiler! The oven burner is 30,000 btu and the design of the oven allows for a very consistent heat. Not to mention it is gas (moisture). The ranges and ovens are offered in 190 colors and now they have knobs in 190 colors. The last thing you need to know is that BlueStar is a VERY simple product. If an igniter breaks, it takes about 4 minutes and is VERY inexpensive. I say this because others have electronic controls that do not like heat and abuse. They are very expensive to replace. BlueStar is made to last, just like a range built for a restaurant. Cheers!

• westsider129
    Original Author
    13 years ago

P111og, I, too, am mentally blocked when it comes to electric issues, despite the fact that it has been explained to me on more than one occasion. All I know is that I've been told I'm working with a "budget" of something like 20-30 amps for the wall oven. And 240V isn't a problem.

Unlike you, I have only baked in gas ovens. This is the first opportunity I've had to do a kitchen and can choose an electric oven for my baking. The gas oven in the range will do just fine for the turkey and other meats, but I am looking forward to baking in an electric oven for the first time. (And I've been baking over 30 years!)

Now, proofing on the cable box-that's a new one! I usually find a draft-free corner of my kitchen. Since I live in an apartment building, and an old one at that, a chilly kitchen is rarely a problem. We are usually opening the windows in winter because it's so hot (we can only control the heat to a limited extent).

I think you're right on the proof mode. If it comes with the oven, fine, and I'll certainly try it out, but I've been doing this long enough that it will not be a reason to buy an oven. And, since I bake challah weekly, I will definitely watch out for the temperature.

So now my question is, when shopping how do I know I'm looking at an oven that provides consistent, even heat, because they all claim to provide that?

• chac_mool
    13 years ago

Not sure how much of a constraint your electrical budget will be for other ovens, but it looks like the Miele 30" oven (H4882BP) requires 240volts, 30 amps, plus a dedicated line and junction box (see pg. 73 in the link below).

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele operating/installation instructions

• westsider129
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cathy:

Thanks for your input on the proofing cycle, and I agree about a true convection oven. My current GE Profile theoretically has a convection option, but I've had trouble with it since the beginning.

Roxy and dcunited:

The BlueStar range is looking interesting to me, but I'm looking for an electric wall oven. I think BlueStar only makes a gas wall oven.

chac mool:

Thanks for the info on the miele. Do you have one and can you recommend it for baking? I know they're supposed to be great, but if you've had some personal experience I'd love to hear about it.

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

I second the Gaggenau recommendation.

Gaggenau's proofing option is called "fermentation mode", it holds 100 degrees F.

In regular mode it will hold as low as 120-150 degrees F depending on the model,works as a warming drawer too.

120-170 degrees adjust in 5 degree increments.

Of course it goes as high as 570 degrees,moving in 10 degree increments after 170.

Check out Ebay for deals on discontinued models.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Westsider, My (mother's recipe) challah is a double rise (before shaping) brioche style dough that starts in a cold oven. It does not like to be rushed. :) I could bake it in the old, terrible oven by rearranging the loaves carefully. More usual recipes aren't as picky so the "proof" might work for you, but it doesn't sound like you need to worry about it.

Unfortunately, I only know two ways to really determine the evenness of an oven, and both involve using it. Which means you'll know how that oven in that installation works, but that's not necessarily your oven in your installation. One is to hang a bunch of oven thermometers around and measure what the temperature in different parts is, and the other is to put in trays of thin short bread cookies and overcook them so you can see where it's too hot and where it's too slow.

Since your services are limited, the best thing to do is go to the manufacturers' websites and look at the installation instructions to see what the electrical draw is (for the gas ovens too). I'm thinking maybe the 50 was for cooktops, rather than ovens. I just looked at my Gaggenau specs, which are confusing, but it might work. The Miele will work, but I just remembered that some people here reported some wild fluctuations on temperature and some kind of weird story about averaging, etc. You might want to search for those threads and also find out if other people are having issues with Miele temperatures. I've heard good things about Thermador and Bosch (which gain from being in the same stable as Gaggenau), but then, recently, also some vague horrors.

I was looking for a new oven for my mother and have limited selection in what she can use, and had some trouble finding something with controls that suit her, but that have control over which elements are on. There are some new electric ovens, including, I think, the Bosch, that don't let you select only top or only bottom heat. Very bad for baking. So control is another issue to look for.

I wish I were being more helpful, other than to say that steady temperature is the most important thing for baking. My thoughts have been very disorganized this week...

• westsider129
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And I thought spending something like 5 hours start to finish (including merely 2 risings) was a lot!

Taking a few thermometers with me is a great idea and I'll try that. No reason to let perfectly good shortbread cookies go to waste.

I'm beginning to wonder if my obsession is getting ahead of me. I'm baking challah and two pies today (blueberry-peach and strawberry-rhubarb, the fruit has been so amazing in the Greenmarket this summer!). And I'm doing it in an old GE Profile, which I will have to watch closely, but it will all come out yummy in the end. I guess I have to remember that almost any new oven will be an improvement, and that I shouldn't get too lost in the details.

On the other hand, so many people on GW have emphasized getting something that suits one's needs. All the information you can get on GW has been most helpful. Like checking out ebay and searching out the scratch & dent places. And paying attention to what's really important, like even temperature and control.

So I'll keep that in mind as I search this weekend.

• country_smile
    13 years ago

westsider - It doesn't take long to realize that unless a poster experienced problems with her/his appliances, s/he is loyal to the brand s/he purchased, which is quite natural. I suppose I fall in that category because one of my ovens is a Miele and I would recommend it without reserve. It's true that I've read a thread or two in the past about someone that had issues with their Miele oven, just as I've read about problems with other brands.

I suspect Gagg. ovens are top-notch, but unfortunately I don't have any personal experience using one so I am not suited to recommend it. (I would like to try baking with one some day!) There are other ovens that cost less with which many people here on GW are completely satisfied. But, keep in mind, there are reasons why one oven costs more than another - true convection, specialized programs, reliability, past records, materials used, shipping/imports, etc. You need to decide what is most important to you in features, budget, etc. and pick the appliance that best fits your needs. Other than summertime, I bake almost every day so I wanted the best oven in my budget that could be serviced by the reputable appliance dealer we've been dealing with for the last 28 years - which for me, was a Miele. Yes, it cost more than others, but it bakes like a charm. I like it so much, that I wish I had bought another Miele for my 2nd oven because there is an obvious difference, just as there was an obvious difference in the price.

As for the "proof" setting...last winter I baked a lot of bread and as long as the fireplace insert was cranking out the heat, I left the dough by the fireplace and I didn't need to use any type of proof setting. When spring arrived and we were no longer burning wood, I used another method instead of the proof setting which I prefer (put a pan of HOT water on a lower rack of the oven and put the covered dough in a bowl on a rack above it. The dough consistently rose with no problems and I didn't need the oven turned on.)

Good luck in your search and let us know what you decide! Remember, the "best" oven is the one that suits your needs the best.

• westsider129
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Gary:

Thanks for the Ebay info. I would not ocnsider buying an appliance like this without a warranty. And I have read a lot of the posts re: Electrolux ovens, including yours, and I am favorably impressed.How do you think it compares with GE Monogram? I think of them as being in the same "class" or category, but I may be wrong about that.

country smile:

Thanks for sharing your Miele experience. Now I'm dying to know what your second oven is!

• dodge59
    13 years ago

Sorry, I know nothing about the GE Monogram.I'm sure there are plenty of posts here about it's baking perfomance thou, or you can google the part number + reviews, and I'm sure you will find plenty of info about it.

As I mentioned,in my other posts, the glide out racks, the cobalt interior and the way it is lit, along with the big window in the door, was our reasons to buy it.
    We also like the wavetouch controls with the Big Easy to Read display----I have a "Nasty Habit" of leaving my glasses upstairs here, (where the cmptr is) and it's nice to be able to read the display without having to "Trot back upstairs" to retrieve my glasses, and then if I do get glasses, I can't read this cmptr screen--cause I left My glasses down by the oven---grrrr anyway You get my point why I like the large display on the oven?

I don't know what class you put the Elux in, I did do a lot of reading on the net before we bought it, and read about Elux wanting to get into the US Market in a bigger way, (2005) and they did a lot of research to determine what the US Market wanted--I think they "Hit the Target well", they could have priced them like the Miele, as they have more features than the Miele--glide out racks---thicker and cooler door etc etc but I'm glad they didn't price them like that--but if they had, I would still have "Bought the Bullet" and purchased them!

Gary

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I never use my proof mode in our approx 67 degree house. I just never think to. Dough will actually rise in the fridge, given long enough...;-) So it's more about time for me. I also think that convection is overrated when it comes to baking...unless you're talking about doing multiple sheets of cookies, for which it can be helpful. I don't use it for bread, cake, or pie. It is WONderful for roasting meat...but you'll have the gas range oven for that. I would therefore say that convection is optional, but I don't know of any of the high quality ovens that won't have it, anyway, and it's nice to have occasionally.

Even baking and browning is definitely what it's all about. Gary says he has that in his Electrolux. I had it in my F&P ovens. A trusted appliance dealer and friend who has done lots of oven demos likes Dacor for that. My sister has it in her Miele...She's had it several years (7 maybe?) and is an avid baker, who has baked wedding cakes, and supplied desserts for restaurants and benefits, so would not be happy with substandard performance...She's never used the rotisserie or MasterChef features and still believes it was worth the price. I don't know if it's still possible, or if any of the 'rules' changed since then, but she did get hers from an Ebay seller who also has an actual store, so it was fully warranteed.

• westsider129
    Original Author
    13 years ago

From what I've been reading on GW, it looks as though the Miele and Electolux have most fans. So here's my questions:

If the Electrolux oven has more interior usable space on its racks than the Electolux Icon, is there a reason to spend for the Icon? What features do people use that really make a difference? Bearing in mind that I'm really looking for this oven to bake more than anything else.

And the same question goes for the Miele Chef vs, MasterChef. Do I really need all that programming? From a functional point of view, to bake well, do I need the MasterChef?

Also I'm thinking about stacking a microwave over the wall oven. So now I'm getting into the speed oven category. Isn't a simple microwave enough? For those who use their speed ovens regularly, how do you tend to use it? It seems to me that since I'll have a range and a wall oven, I don't really need the speed oven, but I'm open to ideas and suggestions from others.

I also keep reminding myself that the range oven will be large and I may not tend to use it as much as I think I will. If I'm not doing a lot of baking/cooking at once, I will probably use the smaller wall oven for everyday needs. So that just complicates the decision making even more.

My head is spinning!!!!!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

You don't need the Master Chef, but I looked at the differences awhile back and it was significantly more than just the lack of MasterChef. Can't remember what swayed me against the cheaper one, but I know it did lack features I thought I'd use and that people here mention valuing in their Mieles. Sorry to be so vague, but you might want to study the specs carefully to compare for yourself.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I guess part of what swayed me away from the Chef series is that it only comes in a single and I needed a double oven, which doesn't apply to you. I compared manuals again (the only way to really see what functions each has). I thought the Chef oven didn't have Intensive Bake, but it does...It doesn't have the rotisserie, browning, proof, or defrost, which are things I could live without. It is missing all the special 'roast' functions, including the probe, which I would miss...but if you'll roast in the gas oven, or don't care about that, maybe the Chef is just right for you.

• westsider129
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I went to three appliance stores this past weekend, spoke to three different salesmen, and each of them steered me away from the Miele and Electrolux and to the GE Monogram. These three stores weren't near each other (in 2 different states!) and I didn't tell them I was leaning towards one oven or another. And they are each family businesses that have been around for at least a couple of generations.

The 2 reasons they each mentioned in support of staying away from the Miele were service issues (hard to get service quickly and satisfactorily--something I've read about here) and the souped up electronics (with so many programming options, there's more that can go wrong). Oh, and they referred to the cost, which I already know about, and may have to consider when all is said and done. (But that wasn't my focus this weekend.)

I got the feeling they each saw the Electrolux as something of an unknown quantity, but one did mention service issues (but that guy said he's never had a customer with a problem with the Monogram--raised some suspicion in me, how is that possible?) He didn't elaborate on what the issues have been with the Elux. But is it really an unknown quantity? Haven't they got a track record?

So now I'm more confused than ever. I know little about the Monogram, but have read quite a bit on this forum about the Advantium. I liked what I saw, such as 3 glide-out racks, and the ability to leave the racks in while cleaning. I was told the convection function is excellent. But I just was surprised at the uniformity of their opinions. Are these guys just more comfortable with a brand they know well? All three stores carried a number of high end brands, so I guess their salespeople know other brands, too.

rhome410:

I agree that even baking is what its all about, and one of these guys told me they did a demonstration with sugar cookies on 3 racks in the Monogram and they all came out great.

plllog:

I didn't take thermometers with me this time (I only own one, so need to pick some more up) but I will next time to try to narrow this search.

Anyone have any thoughts on the Monogram oven?

• wekick
    13 years ago

Keep in mind that they may make more on one brand than the other. This dawned on me when I was doing research over time and some adamant supporters of a certain brand suddenly switched to the same other brand. Not all may be swayed but some will. I found it difficult to find sales people who actually cooked/baked and looked at an oven or range from that perspective. If anyone says they haven't seen any trouble from a particular brand, it would be difficult for me to believe anything else they said. Any brand can have trouble but it is how you are treated that makes the difference.

• cookingguru
    13 years ago

I would reccommend the BlueStar 36" Range for you kitchen and go with the new Sharp supersteam oven. Based on your lack of electrical the Sharp is a great oven that you can Supersteam, Steam, Convection Bake, and Microwave. The unit has a 30" built in trim kit to build it in. This will allow you to have the precise moist gas oven cooking with the best top burners on the market along with a great option for electric cooking. The sharp is a 110volt and doesn't require a water hook up or drain perfect for apartments. The Sharp oven is very affordable around $1300 for the oven and the built in kit. You can also just set it on the countertop if you don't have a spot to build it in.

• westsider129
    Original Author
    13 years ago

wekick:

Just so I understand what you're saying, you're suggesting that the GE Monogram is being pushed by these three salesmen because there are more of them (perhaps in their stock rooms?)?

cookingguru:

Yes the Bluestar is a "star" here, and when I'm ready to reconsider the Capital (i.e., look more closely at range options), I will certainly consider it. I know nothing about the Sharp. I will definitely take a look. Is it, like the speed ovens, similar in size to a microwave? Because I'm looking for a full size 30" electric oven. I will check it out. Thanks

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

Westsider,

What wekick is saying is that there is likely a bigger profit margin and commission on GE Monogram that the rest.

There are probably shared parts between Monogram and lesser lines of GE that lower cost to make. Not necessarily a better oven.But cheaper to repair.

Salesmen tend to push what is in their best interes or if on straight salary what the managers tells them to push.

Again, I stronger urge you to at least look at the Gaggenau. Best out there. Miele being a close 2nd. IMO

• westsider129
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK, I'm hearing everyone's messages about salespeople pushing product.

I know the Gaggenau and Miele are considered the top ovens. The Gagg seems like a more straightforward oven, without so many programs, which I like.

I see one on Ebay that looks interesting, and it says it comes with the full 5 year warranty. But I've been told on this thread that if I purchase on Ebay it won't have the warranty. Which is right? Anybody out there know?

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

There are authorized Gaggenau dealers on Ebay.

If you buy from them Gaggenau gives you full warranty.

Some,like Miele,will not.

• plllog
    13 years ago

I totally agree that the one the sales people are pushing is the one the company has a better profit on, though sometimes it's the one that's had the most recent, fun training seminar. I seem to remember someone not being thrilled with Monogram for baking.

Any oven with true convection can do three trays of sugar cookies. I think the Miele demo is five trays. True convection is great for cookies and hors d'oeurve because of the multiple racks. I know people who use it for simple cakes (i.e., just batter) and pies as well, very successfully, though some cakes probably have to be adjusted if the recipes were made for slower ovens. Of course, it also means that you need more than two baking sheets. :)

As to speed ovens, they're fantastic for producing fast food. In other words, for working moms who get a real benefit from roasting a whole chicken in half an hour, and for voracious teenagers who'd rather eat it frozen from the box than wait forty-five minutes for it to bake. And if you don't fit in either class, you might like a speed oven but you don't need it. I'd spend the difference on a better baking oven given your other parameters.

• westsider129
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for your responses.

deeageaux:

How do I know if the seller is an authorized Gaggenau dealer? I know the seller is an appliance dealer who has sold a lot on ebay. According to the information on ebay, the oven comes with the full 5-year warranty from the manufacturer. Should I just ask him directly if he's an authorized dealer?

And plllog:

Yes, I agree with what you're saying. I don't really need the speed oven (although I do have a teenage son who will eat anything, and does). If I can get the Gagg at less than what the MasterChef would cost, I think it's a go. As long as I can be sure of what I'm getting. And then I'll just get a simple microwave.

I'm going to a local store today which carries Gaggenau to check it out, and to see what the electric demands are.

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

Find out the dealers address.

Go to http://www.gaggenau.com/US_en/dealer-locator.do

Input the city and state.

If he is an authorized dealer the name should pop up.

If not you may want to call 1-877-4GAGGENAU to see if there is a mistake.

• country_smile
    13 years ago

westsider- in answer to your question: 2nd oven is a KA

• westsider129
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here's an update:

The eBay seller is not an authorized Gaggeneau dealer. He sounds more like a scratch and dent seller. They sell a lot of high end appliances which they acquire in a variety of ways. Some, like this oven, are in the original packaging. Others may have been display models, or even slightly used in a demonstration kitchen.

I was told that this particular oven was slated to go to a Chicago area kitchen designer who was planning to open a large and upscale showroom. However, the economy resulted in such a slowdown of his business that he is not opening the showroom. But he had ordered this oven (among other things) and this seller is now trying to unload it all. I asked him what will happen if no one buys it on eBay and he said they would either try to sell it off of eBay (in their location) or might put it up again in the future.

I called Gaggenau, explained the situation, and asked if I would be covered by the 5-year warranty, and they told me I would.

I checked with the Better Business Bureau to see if there were any reports on this seller (there were not) and looked at some of the 100% positive feedback on eBay.

This 30" oven is dreamy, and I really want to have it. I wasn't prepared to pay retail for it, and had assumed it was beyond my reach. The price on eBay puts it in the ball park. (More than $2000 less than I was quoted at an appliance store) But am I missing something? Does anyone have any experience buying an appliance like this on eBay? Is there any reason not to buy it???

There is a set price for it, so there's no auction, but it ends at 5 pm (or so) pacific time.

I'd love some suggestions.....

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

I bought my Gag from an authorized dealer on Ebay.

No problems.

IF the warranty is still 5 years I would grab it ASAP.

• plllog
    13 years ago

It sounds like you've done your due diligence. If Gaggenau will honor the warranty then the only question is whether they'll actually send you what you bargained for. How long have they been selling on eBay? If they've been there a year at least, and have a 100% rating from at least 10 people, I'd think they'd be worth the risk. Can you see if your insurance covers it in transit? Sometimes it does. Definitely get a Gaggenau qualified installer for it, but it sounds like a great deal.

BTW, it comes with one wire rack, one baking tray (like a baking sheet with sides that fits on the rack grids), and one roasting tray which has a wire rack in a tray which fits in the grid as well. You can buy extras, though they're pretty pricey. I did and called it part of the cost of the oven because I knew I'd cheap out later. I also got the pizza stone with electric element that plugs into the oven. I've only used it once for a pizza, and not at all yet for bread. Not necessary for challah, but I'm dreaming of making corn rye. :)

• westsider129
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks plllog for the input.

They have been selling on eBay for something like 10 years, and have 27 positive feedbacks (is that a word?) in the last 12 months (and no negative feedback).

I'm inclined to take the risk. I might not have thought about getting a Gaggenau qualified installer, but I thank you for that. Of course that makes sense.

I did notice that about the rack when I saw it in a store, and figure I will also get extras. But first things first.

I've never made pizza with a stone, but I'm sure it makes a world of difference. I will look into that as well. But, again, first things first.

I'll keep you updated.

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

I guess congradulations are in order?

I see the Gag sold today.

• westsider129
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yup, I did it!

Unfortunately, it will be a while before I can use it, since we haven't even scheduled a date to start demolition. It will sit in a box (after I open it to have a look see!) for some months. Actually, it, with a lot of our other possessions, will be in storage for a period of months, since I'm doing some other renovations in the apartment at the same time. But I'm looking forward to using it a lot when the time comes!

Can't thank all of you enough for your input. Who knows where I would have ended up if I hadn't been here on GW, getting information I could not have found elsewhere?

• plllog
    13 years ago

Woohoo!! Welcome to the club. :)

Re the pizza stone, the Gaggenau one is very thick and has a separate electric element that goes under it and plugs in. The one pizza I made had a better crust than many I've met in pizzarias. It's really for bread that I got it. I'll let you know once I'm able to get back to baking.

I know it'll be awhile before it goes in, but titchadshi.

• westsider129
    Original Author
    13 years ago

deeageaux:

Somehow I missed your earlier posts. I've been in a butterflies-in-my-stomach kind of state for the last day or so.

First, I did speak with Gaggeneau about the warranty and I will have the full five years. Second, thanks for your congratulations.

plllog:

Todah rabah.

Again, thanks to both of you, and all the others, for most helpful guidance and valuable information.

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

Oops,

I meant congratulations. :)

Yes, welcome to the club.

• muskokascp
    13 years ago

westsider- which oven did you purchase? I am also looking on ebay for a Gag. Do you mind telling me who the seller was? I would like the 30" model but only see the 24" ovens (right now) on ebay.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I lost track of this thread, but am glad you decided on something and got a good deal, too! Can't wait to hear how it works for you.

BTW, I have the Monogram and wouldn't do 3 racks of anything in it. 3 racks make the top too close to the top and the bottom rack too close to the bottom elements. The full-extension racks, although wonderful in some ways, take up a lot of room and limit the rack position options.

• Jazznme2_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I hate to admit to myself how long I looked for "MY" oven. It began over 4 price changes ago. And that's the part that hurts. But I'm SO glad I did or I would not have made the choice I made. All along I wanted the Millennium Dacor but I did not like the appearance of the Dacor Convection MicroWave (which is really a Sharp, in a Dacor kit). One of two dealers who suffered with me for a few years--introduced me to Miele's H4088BM Conv MW. OMG! It took me a few months to get over the cost. Then to find the best price to put in the dedicated 220. I couldn't be happier!! I've only had my 30" MieleH4882BP and the ConvMW since January 2011, but I couldn't be happier. And also with the service. One of the racks was faulty, and they quickly shipped me another. And they corrected a scratched oven glass. Oh my! Can't tell you hope much I use the MW!! Since I'm normally alone, I use it as my main oven. I love ALL the features and I do use the Master Chef when appropriate, like the pork loin. And we through in an apple dish. on and on, I could rave.