SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wardog25

Quantity of organic fertilizer question

wardog25
11 years ago

I am new to organic gardening, so this may be an obvious question, but something has confused me lately.

I am trying to grow fruit trees organically. The information sheets from my local extension agency recommend large amounts of fertilizer (non-organic of course). Usually several pounds a year for a larger tree, depending on the variety. They usually recommend something like 8-8-8.

So why is it that recommended amounts for organic fertilizers are so much smaller? For instance, I purchased some Aggrand Natural liquid fert that is only 4-3-3 and it just recommends a few ounces per gallon of water that is then spread over 100 sq. feet. (so I use one gallon on several trees)

And they only recommend that application several times a year. There is no way that gives anywhere near the quantity of fert that the extension agency recommends.

So where does the difference lie? Do trees not need as much fert as they say? Or are organic ferts only supposed to be supplemental to other methods? If that's the case, it would seem the majority of nutrients would be coming from other places, so why even bother with the organic fert?

(just as an example, the recommended amount of fert for my 2-yr-old avocado is 3-6 lbs per year. But if I use the recommended amount of Aggrand, it would only come to a couple ounces of liquid fert per year, if even that. Why are the quantities so different?)

Comments (3)