SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thephotohound

Fertilizing: Organic? Synthietic?

thephotohound
15 years ago

Here I find myself at the beginning of yet another glorious gardening season. And again this year (like every other year), I find myself asking the question regarding fertilizer: organic or synthetic?

My dad (an avid gardener of 30 years) always used synthetic fertilizers. In every hole (prior to transplanting ot sowing seed), he would add a handful of lime and 10-10-10. In addition, througout the growing season, he would add Miracle Grow liquid. He had great success with this method.

I wish he was around now for me to ask him this, but I figured I'd pose it to the gardening community here: If you use a synthetic fertilizer, are you really gardening organically? By organically, I mean are you adding potentially harmful (in large enough quantities) ingredients into your soil? How does Miracle Grow differ from a pesticide? These are honest questions that I just don't know the answers to. Last year, I used Garden Tone (slow release synthetic). My planting mixture is 1/3 compost. This year, I was planning on using the same mix. I am trying to keep my additives as organic as possible, but I don't want to sacrifice yields, either. What do all of you do, and why? Thank you!

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting