SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whiteapple_gw

Weed/Organic Matter 'Tea' as fertilizer and When to fertilize

whiteapple
14 years ago

i dont really have a compost pile, I just throw all my fruit and veggie scraps onto a pile and forget about it. So I cant really make compost tea. I was wondering if I could fill buckets with just a lot of organic matter from around the yard like dead leaves, pine needles, green leaves from trees/bushes, green grass, weeds, coffee grounds, etc. let it brew for a few days and thus all the nutrients will of hopefully leached out and leave me with some fertilizer. I threw some of the above stuff into 2 buckets on a whim this morning, stirred it up and put a black plastic bag over them so they can heat up. I will try to stir them as often as possible so they have more air flow. I tried for a good balance of things in them like with green matter and brown matter and not too much of one thing.

Is this a good idea I sort of just need a general fertilizer to put on some small seedlings which is another question I have when should I fertilize? Some of my spinach and kale is working on its 3rd set of true leaves, and most things are working on their 2nd set of true leaves, and my peas are maybe 4-5 inches tall.

Comment (1)