SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

Garden Ramblings, subtitled birds don't read books

calliope
16 years ago

It's been a long time since we had a garden ramble, and I'm in the mood to talk gardens. I'm wrapping up on the spring selling season and it was a good one, despite the obstacles. This means I get a chance to actually get out in play in my own dirt. The weather gods have not been the kindest. It was a cold spring with intermittent heat waves and then a hard freeze. The only fruit crop I shall have this year to speak of are the bounty of a few apple trees, some blueberries and two grape vines. The apricots froze out again. The peaches froze out. 3/4ths of the apples froze out. The quince froze out. The birds got the piddling few cherries making it past the freeze. No plums. The chipmunks got the few strawberries I had, because that bed is getting too shaded and I need to start a new one.

We got a very hellatious storm a few hours ago. That in itself may save the blackberries, who would have been hard seedy little knobs without a rain at this time. My veggie garden? Well, This is the first serious rain we've had since I put it in. For the first time in my life, I have watered it daily to keep it alive and growing. It went in late because even with the ninety degree days, the nights have been cool, still dipping into the high forties and low fifties.

The biggest problem I've had has been chipmunks in the corn crop. I started the crop in the greenhouses because of the cold weather to transplant it out when it got warm enough. The little blighters ate over four hundred corn plants out of the seed flats, even with domes over them. I started a full pound of seed corn, and believe me, that is a lot of seed corn. LOL. I have continued to start more because as soon as I'd transplant it into the garden and it got going good, they'd go out to the garden and rip it out to get the seed, still hanging on to the stalk. I finally have six decent double rows in and I think I have finally hung in there long enough that it's a go this time. Everything I grew this year for the vegetable garden got started in the greenhouses, including the green beans, lol. It's the only way I can keep critters out of the crops long enough to give them a chance.

The neatest thing this year is the catbird family. They've claimed our property the last few years, running out the mockingbirds. I have never seen such energetic parents. One of them literally waits by our back door and as soon as my husband or I go out to garden, follows us and stays by our side to harvest the bugs we unearth. They even come into the greenhouses after I water to do more of the same. They come so close, totally fearless of us, that you can reach out and touch them. I googled them and every article I have read says you are more likely to hear, but never see them, because they are so shy. rofl. Oh yeah? Evidently they don't read the books. We also have a ruby throated hummer who has been hanging around in my selling house to get easy nectar.

I had hoped to really plant the flowers this year for my son's wedding next month. No way, with no rain. They are still, for the most part sitting up in the greenhouses. I have had to plant dozens of urns and pots and place them in the garden beds, so that my husband can take the tractor around with a tank on the back to water them.

Now that we have had a good amount of rain, I may yet get to install the hundreds of annuals I had wanted to get in, but it's going to be a push now.

The intense daytime heat has pushed the flowering shrubs and perennials. They are in gorgeous bloom and out so quickly, if you don't get out to ramble in them, you miss them. sigh. One serendipitous effect of the long hot days/cold nights has been the crop of regal geraniums I have up in the greenhouses has kept cranking and are beautiful. They are left over from my Easter/Mother's Day crop and require artificial lighting and cool spring nights to keep setting bloom. Not this spring. LOL. They're getting just what they need with the long near summer days and fifty degree nights. Gorgeous yet.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
More Discussions