SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_8959062

The new garden - long, rambling and a bit sad.

User
13 years ago

The new garden is slowly coming into being. After the usual (for me) maniacally over-enthusiastic start, we have settled back into our normal snail-like momentum. This has not been a smooth process, interrupted by desperate grieving, several fierce rows and numerous flounces offstage. The worst bit, the part I dread writing and reliving has been the inevitable demise of the new cat. Despite ever more ridiculous attempts to keep him safe, Otto just could not stay away from the wrong side of town. His party gatecrashing over Xmas, in retrospect, was a horrible foretelling of his short, fast and dangerous life. Roaming ever further, he eventually discovered the boho part of town - lots of students, late night shops, cafes.....and traffic. Too awful to go into detail ( for a couple of weeks, I would find myself groaning aloud and have to punch myself in the head to remove the awful moments of discovery) but at least it was fast and instant - no blood, no pain (only for us). Trying not to conclude that we are clearly disastrous cat-owners but this is hard as I have lost 4 cats prematurely over the years (2 to cars, one to a greyhound and one to leukemia). Dogs do OK, never lost one of them (I tried, with the sodding lurcher - he was indestructible, immortal and an absolute liability)

So, along with his Hi-vis collar and bells, Otto is now buried in the new garden awaiting the overplanting of my best rose.

The garden though - what to say. Although we have done this cheaply, it is still a properly designed and constructed garden like what we do for our customers......and yet. I find myself looking over the wall to my next door neighbours garden which is much like my old garden - a rampantly undisciplined morass of plants with no attempt at landscaping whatsoever - with a touch of envy and a shiver of apprehension. The new garden is just looking too grown-up. Worse, the old garden was MY fiefdom and mine alone whereas in this new garden, everyone wants to weigh in with suggestions. Hostas! Japanese acers! WTF! I can hardly believe I have consented to one of these niminy-piminy miserable little excuses for a tree. I chose a coral bark maple (and got rid of the label before anyone realised we were not growing some pathetic metre-high specimen - making the best of a bad job) Obviously, I have to (at least pretend to) cave in to sweetheart (since he is the one wielding the angle grinder right now) but the offspring (who have not actually done so much as a hand's turn of work in this garden) seem to have the most strident 'ideas'. Generally, everyone avoided the old garden (mainly because only one thinnish person at a time could actually be in it) and it was possibly a source of some embarrassement whereas this new garden looks distinctly 'posh' Ha, we will soon see how long that lasts once it starts filling up again.

The other really worrying aspect derives from the fact that I feel compelled to consider things such as colours, plant associations and seasonal changes whereas before, I just had a lot of plants I liked. In short, I have to 'design' the planting. Now I do this for customers with energy and confidence but suddenly find myself paralysed in my own garden. This is becausde the phrase 'less is more' is never far from my lips in other people's gardens. I use repetition. I plant in drifts. I restrict the palette and use far fewer plants........none of this is acceptable in my garden because I want many plants, rare and beautiful plants, many different types, constant interest and did I say I want LOTS of plants. Hmmm, I predict that within three years, the new spacious garden will, once again be stuffed with far too many pots, there will be nowhere left to sit and I will bore everyone to death whining on about the endless watering.

Comments (26)