SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tjski_gw

Slit Seeder or Thatcher and Top Dress?

tjski
12 years ago

Last fall I did a major renovation of my lawn; aerate it, de-thatch it, and added about .25" of compost with new seed mixed in. The lawn came in great but a combination of creeping bent grass, nimblewill, and summer heat made several large dead patches (about 1/3 of my lawn). I used Tenacity about 3 weeks ago to finally control the creeping bent grass / nimblewill and just applied a second round. The question I now have is do I go through another laborious and expensive compost application again this year or can I get by with just slit seeding? I would rent a Bluebird slit seeder and use it a couple of passes without putting seed down to de-thatch it, then use a lawn mower to cut it low and vacuum up the de-thatching residue, and then apply the seed with slit seeder in two passes. Any thoughts or pass experiences with slit seeding? Also is it too early this weekend to do this or should I wait two weeks more? I live on Long Island, NY and plan on using again a seed mixture from a local sod farm consisting of KBG, creeping red fescue, and perennial ryegrass.

Comments (2)