SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shadowgarden

house

shadowgarden
15 years ago

IT IS NOW HOME

We have essentially finished our relocation. Just a few items remain at the old house in Dublin , most of them belonging to our children. With a little luck we should have the place on the market before too long. And the movers brought our last delivery. Now we need to adjust to our new surroundings. As Mrs. T relates, we have been doing some explorations on and off the property. We both find it peaceful and idyllic here. And quite private. Proximity of friends is missed most.

Below Mrs. T provides a taste of our environment. She does omit that it is a bit of a hike to get around, a half mile up and down the terrain to go to the mailbox for example. But here is an idea of how we are getting along.

Things are coming along as we say out here in the holler. Dan is trying to fit in locally since he did not grow up here as I did. I noticed him waving at someone as we drove by. "Is that someone we know?" I asked.

"No, I am just fitting in with the milieu," he replied.

"Out here we call it the melloo," I corrected.

We have done a little local sightseeing down memory lane, going out to Ruraldale to find the one room schoolhouse where my mother first taught in the 1930s. We visited Blue Rock State park where we were married thirty-eight years ago this August. But mostly we have been working on finishing touches on the house and the land.

The road, which is ½ mile dirt/gravel carved out around and up and over the hilly land to get to our new house is much improved but still could use some more work (and more gravel). After I got stuck on it for the third time in my 15 year old Taurus I admitted that a four wheel drive vehicle was probably needed.

As our neighbor was getting a new car he gave us a good deal on his wifeÂs five year old Cadillac Escalade which I promptly christened the Beluga. It is, after all, white and about the size of a whale, but it does climb these hills. I have not owned a luxury car and this car has buttons for everything. One day when we were riding I asked Dan if he was too hot. "No, I am just fine," he replied. Oh well, just another hot flash, I thought, but no, it turns out I had accidently turned on my seat warmer! This car is very comfortable and does carry a lot which is useful as we are still carting down bits and pieces from the old house. However with the price of gas being what it is we use DanÂs little KIA Rio for most of our running around. But once when he got the KIA stuck I was able to pull it out with the Beluga.

We are making some progress in getting the amenities to our new house. Our water is now hooked up so that the water from the downspouts goes through a filter before the cistern, through another filter after the cistern and then by a ultra-violet light and then we can drink it. We do not have a well here because the strip mining has left the ground water in a poor state. If the cistern goes dry we will have to haul water. Right now we could use a gulley washer (Maybe frog strangler  see below  dt) to fill the cistern.

I have been transplanting a lot of flowers from the old house and mostly they are doing quite well. I have also been working in the woods pulling up garlic mustard and multiflora rose which are two invasives. There are an incredible variety of wildflowers here. I have also been exploring throughout the property on the logging roads. I found a way down to Brush Creek which is the boundary of our property on one side. It is a lovely view.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9151458@N07/sets/72157605685206828/

Every night we go to sleep to a chorus of frogs and every morning we awake to birdsongs. I listened carefully and could hear at least four different kinds of frogs singing. One night I said to Dan "Sweet choirs of froggies sing thee to thy rest!"

Dan replied to the affect that although he appreciated the sentiment he thought Shakespeare said it better. I have been watching the tadpoles in our mud puddles and they have finally grown legs and are hopping about. There are zillions of them and they are tiny, about the size of a housefly. I love watching them. The last few nights our frogsong has diminished a bit. Dan says probably they have either found true love or have been eaten. I am voting for true love.

Dan and Rebecca

http://casa-de-terrible.blogspot.com/

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions