SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ms_minnamouse

Orchid likes weird culture

ms_minnamouse
15 years ago

I have a Bulbophyllum medusae that I tried upping the humidity as much as I could in my sunroom. Not enough. I took it out of my coconut chips and dyna-rocks and it's wrapped in wet sphagnum moss now. I fertilize it very, very lightly and only once in a while.

I put it up in my room on a tray of pebbles and water, still not enough. I also put it under a grow light. Well, just a full spectrum light, the kind of energy saving ones you use everyday in your house.

My other plants responded well, this one didn't. All but two live pseudobulbs are left. I thought I would try one more thing even though it's a big no-no.

I went out and I bought a little clear plastic display case that you find at craft stores. They're just a clear box with a clear lid. I also put pebbles and water in the bottom.

It was now under the lights in that box. It wasn't dying anymore but nothing was happening.

I brought it downstairs and sat it on the kitchen table, with no particular plethora of light, it's not very sunny at all, and all of a sudden there's a leaf and another one is growing in.

Isn't all this strange? It doesn't want any air movement, it wants to have it's roots sopping wet and it doesn't want even a little bit of supplemental light. I mean, I know this is a shade orchid but this lamp isn't super efficient.

Should I just keep it up?? Should I remove the dead pseudobulbs? Maybe put it back underneath the light? There's little pale bugs in there. I couldn't even get my camera to capture a visible image of them. Do you think I should worry? I only noticed them since the orchid started improving.

No matter how hot and humid it gets here in the summer, B. medusae never grew for me. This is the third plant that I'm trying. So I'm not going to bother trying to put it out for the summer like I do with all my other orchids.

Comments (9)