SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blayz_gw

Wow, they are so much like orchids after all!

blayz
16 years ago

In researching this forum and reading all the helpful posts everyone makes, I have learned a lot about how I have been going astray in my amaryllis growing and how to fix it. In so doing, and in reading about some of the species, I have concluded with much surprise that they are a lot more like orchids in their culture requirements then I thought!

I have been growing them too wet, in media that takes too long to dry out, thinking that they liked constant moisture at the roots. Not true if they don't dry out fast...just like orchids. They need a lot of light to flower properly(which I already knew)...just like most orchids. They don't seem to like disturbance, and absolutely have a mind of their own, refusing to be pushed into anything they don't want to do...just like some orchids (grrrr). Heck, I even found out that there are epiphyte hippeastrum species and most orchids are epiphytes! The biggest differences between them it seems is that orchids love to get their leaves wet and are lean feeders, while hippeastrums seem to rot if I let the leaves and bulbs get wet and are heavy feeders. Amaryllis are sure a lot easier to raise from seed too!

In short, I think I ought to start treating them like a warm growing, sun loving orchid that sometimes likes a cool, dry rest in the fall, but not always. Not at all the bog and streambank lovers I thought them to be! Oops! Any thoughts on this comparison folks?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
More Discussions