SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
it_better_be_organic

Uh-oh, lots of mold under & throughout my organic mulch..........

Is this bad?

A few weeks ago I put down alfalfa pellets. A week after that I put down a good amount of seaweed (2 trashbag fulls). Then I put coffee grounds ontop of that. Then another half trashbag full of seaweed. Then I put a wheelbarrel full of half-composted compost ontop of everything.

In the end, I have realized there is 2 inches of this organic mulch ontop of my soil.

For the first time I'm seeing worms, probably because this is the first time I've organically mulched (previous years I have made the mistake of keeping soil bare - oops).

The soil, when I dig it, is so soft, so earthy, yet also contains some sand and clay. I am real surprised and am hoping this is a sign of some real good soil for my vegtables.

The garden is probably 8 ft by 5 feet.

Now this is the problem - I lifted back mulch to plant all of my veggies and saw lots of mold. It was too dark to tell right now, with my light on my head, but I am assuming it's just white and gray mold. Maybe some green? Who knows. Anyways, I am worried that this stuff will infect my plants and spread if it so much as touches the plants....

Keep in mind I have removed mulch to create a lightly-mulched area right around the base of the plants (so they do not touch the moldy mulch, and are not submerged in as much mulch), but the mulch has most likely touched the plants themselves and the leaves themselves.

Will this be a problem? Did I use waaay too much organic mulch?

Or will I be fine as long as I keep the area right around the stems relativly dry (compared to the moist, moldy, organic mulch everywhere else?)

Thanks

Comments (10)