SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flo9_gw

Roundup got sprayed on my organic garden.. need advice

flo9
9 years ago

Anyone know the extents of danger on this happening to eat the food?
The apt complex hired a company to spray this on grass and other places before applying pine straw to perm ruin grass ( very unnecessary!!!!!!! And it looks super UGLY now). They sprayed this less than an inch to my container garden on my patio and I could spell it inside my home with patio door open... and there's a hill infront of patio.... I know it by the wind some got on my radishes, pea and bean plants... plus I could smell it heavily inside my place.

They all are swearing up a storm I won't be harmed by it to eat anything in my containers growing... 2 or so month old radish plants... pea and bean plants about 8 inches tall....... the owner of landscape place told me it only works for 2 hours and washes away. I see on roundup website it works for a year.

The maintance man told me a friend of his drank a full glass of this thinking it was water and didn't get sick.......... okay, who would have this pesticide in a drinking glass???? What crap is he making up???

Everything I've learned in past.... you NEVER use pesticides to kill weeds in a garden nor use that soil for it can kill you.

Anyone know further info and if they've used this product in their veggie garden?

Do I trash the soil for food gardening??? I don't trust it to eat the radishes now............ will the pea and beans be safe if they survive and produce food if even low amounts got into the soil and top of plants?

Comments (54)

• flo9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Roundup says it RIGHT there on front page.... they are a Monstano company.

Can't trust anything for you garden unless it's certified organic.

• flo9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kimmsr..... Sounds like a lot of copy n pastes from last replier nc-cm

I know poison control doesn't want a law suit, but they don't claim to know it all and he told me anyone to phone they will tell them the same as they told me about roundup. Poison control GIVES FACTS! Even roundup claims their product is not nontoxic and has dangerous chemicals in it. Go to their website to see it....

They told me likely plants will shrivel and/or be dead in a couple days... but doesn't matter... it locks onto the plants and soil. If it gets in water ways.... IT INSTANTLY KILLS FISH, FROGS, AND WATER PLANT LIFE...... yeah.. so that being so diluted.... hmmmmmm must be safe for humans>>>?????????????

I've phoned poison control maybe 8 times... most times what I thought was terrible bad they told me it wasn't and proved right..... if they say it's life threatening.... trust them!!! It's what their job is to help save lives.
    I've even called them on a non threatening issue once for a friend out of Country who had no money to see a doctor and they gave me all kinds of advice to give to her knowing she's out of Country etc......

Everything I've read.... keep all pesticides out of gardens.... nothing is safe with toxins..... only Organic things like baking soda and vinegar etc.....

• Related Discussions

Non organic plants in my Organic Garden

Q

Comments (11)
    Bworley, who maintains the garden? I don't know if you have organic nurseries over there but here I assume that plants from nurseries may have been sprayed. Once they're in my garden they don't get sprayed. Has your landlord actually said he wants to use non-organic plants? Is he talking about ornamentals? I think the important thing is what happens once they are planted. Hopefully you are responsible for the maintenance of the whole garden, not just your veggies, and you can choose not to use chemicals. I am against GMO's too. I thought, like some people have said, the GMO plants are crop plants for large farms not people's gardens. I would hope if they start releasing GMO plants for the home gardener they would be required to label them as such so people can choose whether they want to buy them. Perhaps you could find out what the labelling laws are in your area. Plants that have been sprayed in the nursery will become organic if you treat them as such. Plants that are GMO, well, hopefully between labelling laws and the test mentioned in Scientific American, consumers will be able to send a clear message by not buying them.
    ...See More

Sprayed roundup weed killer

Q

Comments (58)
    Yowza!!! The only statement that approaches any degree of accuracy in the above post is the one that suggests you do the research. Which the above poster has obviously not done. "Ask yourself basic logical questions like, how in the world can a toxic chemical intuitively know not to poison your tomato or your dog, but to target that bad dandelion only (for example)." The answer to that is simple and is the same principle behind the development of beneficial pharmaceuticals that target disease organisms. It's called 'mode of action' - glyphosate's mode of action is to disrupt a metabolic pathway that allows for the biosynthesis of certain amino acids. This metabolic pathway (shikimic acid pathway) is specific to plants and some microorganisms. The absence of this pathway in mammals explains the low toxicity of glyphosate to non-target organisms. "It is extremely hazardous, and it is toxic to all life" Again, a completely erroneous statement. After some 40 years of the most extensive scientific testing any pesticide has ever undergone, glyphosate is considered to be of very low toxicity and therefore is NOT considered to be "extremely hazardous". And it is obviously not "toxic to all life" - it just simply does not work that way (see above re: mode of action) and if it did, it would not be on the market. And the declaration that it is a causation for cancer is still under debate by world health authorities. First, it has never been documented that gylphosate is carcinogenic with humans - that's probably the major bone of contention with this assessment. The association was made based on very limited epidemiological studies which have been disputed by non-consistent patterns of positive associations indicating a causal relationship between total cancer or any site-specific cancer and exposure to glyphosate. The bulk of the determination was based on studies based on animal experiments submitted by the producers of glyphosate as evidence for the carcinogenic effect of glyphosate. And these findings were considered by various other agencies involved in this assessment (IMPR, FAO/WHO) who concluded that “In view of the absence of a carcinogenic potential in animals and the lack of genotoxicity in standard tests, the Meeting (IMPR) concluded that glyphosate is unlikely to pose a carcinogenic risk to humans” (does glyphosate cause cancer?) Finally, had the above poster done her research, she would be aware that glyphosate is a non-specific herbicide. It does not just target weeds nor was it intended to just target weeds. This is a basic premise of any understanding of herbicides and to bother to post without knowing this elementary fact gives no credence to the rest of her rant. Junk science will always be junk science and simply spewing back sensationalized conclusions plucked from the online press without knowledge or understanding is merely ignorant fear mongering.
    ...See More

Do I need organic plant food in my new butterfly garden?

Q

Comments (12)
    I second Jane's suggestion for organic fertilizer and I also use Espoma. I use Flower-tone, however. Mulching is also an excellent suggestion. The advantages to organics like Espoma is that they usually don't burn the plant, they provide valuable micro-nutrients and really encourage growth and flowering. They break down slowly, so they feed the plants a little at a time for a good long period.
    ...See More

Would it be okay to spray around my organic garden?

Q

Comments (5)
    I think the problem with spraying near an organic garden is that an organic growing area stays healthy because it is a diverse ecosystem with all the parts keeping each other in check and in balance. If you spray pesticide to kill or repel the ants, you might kill a lot of unintended other creatures, and some of them might be desirable predators. That said, sometimes if it is clear that there is a specific infestation that a specific limited spray can control, it might be worth it, but I don't think keeping ants outside the garden really counts as that. Ants in a garden and climbing up around on the leaves are often a sign that you've got aphids or scale insects, two sucking insects that ants encourage because they want the sweet honeydew exudate from the sucking insects. I've had aphids on my flowers and vegetables occasionally and have always just squished them and tolerated a low level, and sometimes gave up a plant that was about to bolt anyway. I figure if the aphids proliferate on something I don't value much, then the predators will come in and thrive, and then that plant will get pulled anyway, but my garden will now have hungry aphid-eaters. We've had scale insects on our fruit trees and they don't do any measurable harm, but sometimes in May I go around and poke off with a stick all the ones I can reach.
    ...See More
  • flo9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

PS... I also discussed it with poison control on the claims I read of people claiming safe to drinking it from 40+ years ago....... he told me all of the chemicals in it involved with the glyphosates has changed and what newly is added to the bases they sell will kill you today with the smallest sip of drinking it.

He was super clear it is unsafe and earged me to rid all plants due to roundup!!!!!!!

Phone them and see what they have to say for yourselves..... I'm off the internet for rest of morning to 3 days.... work and sleep.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    9 years ago

Here's my take on Roundup. I had some drift a couple years ago from a farm field. This was not my regular garden and is less protected by distance and barriers. Some [not all] of my cantaloupes and watermelons turned yellow on the tips. After about a couple weeks, you probably couldn't find damage, and they went on to make a tremendous crop...one crenshaw cantaloupe made a 22 pound melon. 2 watermelon plants made about 120+ of melons. ...each

Now, Roundup that is sprayed near another plant with some getting on the ground may harm other plants for a foot or so away. Drift mist can go further but do less severe damage.
    It takes about 4 or 5 days or a little more to start turning plants yellow.

Nonfarmers can buy the 41% at farm stores. Directly applied to Canada Thistle at the right stage it is a real help when you have it badly.

I wouldn't eat the green parts of sprayed plants or anything nearing maturity. Otherwise IMO it isn't a disaster in the long run.

This post was edited by wayne_5 on Sun, May 4, 14 at 10:36

• Lloyd
    9 years ago

First off, was it actually Round-up or just a different glyphosate brand? Not that it makes any difference but people often rag on Monsanto and Round-up when it was actually one of many other manufacturers. People lose all credibility when they mistakenly go after one company just because that is the flavour of the month issue.

The vapour from a glyphosate product will not kill a plant. Just because you smell it does not mean the product has gone into your nostrils. It has to be in its liquid form (droplets) and it has to actually touch the plant. If the liquid does touch a plant it will likely die unless the plant is tolerant (Round-up Ready for example) or the amount was not sufficient to cause harm.

If one is an extremest, then the only recommendation I can give is to throw away all your plants/soil and start from scratch. As an aside, if you eat bread in North America then there is a good chance you are eating a food that was sprayed with a glyphosate product just prior to harvest.

Lloyd

edited to say a glyphosate product v. glyphosate.

This post was edited by pt03 on Sat, May 3, 14 at 17:02

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

"For the most part, the surfactants are more dangerous than the glyphosate itself when it comes to oral ingestion unless you're using the really strong 41% stuff (no home gardener or "mow and blow" maintenance crew would have this). " Uh ... you can buy 41% generic glyphosate in WalMart's garden department.

And yes, the surfactants will kill you or at least make you very, very sick if you drink the concentrate or even the mix. So will dish detergent and shampoo.

RoundUp now has diquat ... that's moderately toxic and it stinks.

=============
    Flo - Calm down a bit, OK. Don't let the anti-chemical hysteria get to you.

Everything I've learned in past.... you NEVER use pesticides to kill weeds in a garden nor use that soil for it can kill you. I don't know where you learned that, but it is not what I learned in landscaping school. Using glyphosate to "knock down" weeds before the real crop is planted is a very common technique. If it were lethal to eat things grown in that soil, we'd have noticed a by now.

Anyone know further info and if they've used this product in their veggie garden? I have used generic glyphosate in and around my vegetables for years. I'm still typing to you and have not grown a third eye.

========
    However, if you could SMELL the herbicide, it wasn't just glyphosate. Glyphosate has no particular odor to it.

The BRAND NAME Roundup, on the other hand, is not just glyphosate any more. They changed the formula to add a short-lived, quick-acting herbicide, Diquat dibromide, so gardeners could see fast results. (glyphosate can take a week or two to kill plants). It is a "dessicant" - the plants quickly shrivel and the gardener feels they have accomplished something. And the glyphosate, in the meantime, kills the roots and prevents regrowth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diquat
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glyphosate

Poison control may have mistaken your conversation and thought you said the concentrate spilled on soil - that has to be disposed of or remediated. The diluted working herbicide is not a problem if it's sprayed on soil.

Call the apartment management and ask them for the EXACT brand name of the herbicide that was used. When you know that, then you can get better advice, and you can find a copy of the label information. Many groundskeepers say "Roundup" when they are using something else, even something that has no glyphosate.

• eibren
    9 years ago

Since they lied to you, imo you should contact an advocacy organization against this sort of thing and see if they will help you to sue for damages. Get the Poison Control statement in writing, and take dated photos of your lost crop. There could be some class action lawsuits out there you could join in, and it is time that something like this be done by many of us.

I am considering advocating against the use of such products in my town. My neighbor uses it every spring and makes me sick. He claims he does not, but I can smell it. Luckily his property is usually downwind from mine.

• norwoodn
    9 years ago

This thread is too funny!

Go ask a geologist, they know a thing or two about soil....

You people could be worrying about BETTER things.

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Like nc-crn (who is a voice of reason in the sometimes hysterical world here of the-sky-is-falling) said the plants will either die or since they are so young, if they live, consumption of the food at harvest would be no issue for most folks.

But you have to do what will make you comfortable. If you can't be comfortable eating the food then there is no point it letting it grow, right? I'd remove the plants, mix in some fresh compost and replant. But if you prefer building a whole new bed with new soil that's your option too. The point is to make you comfortable with the food grown in your garden.

It is a shame it happened but it wasn't a personal attack by Monsanto nor an industry plot to kill you nor is it the end of the world as we know it. So keep it in perspective and make your decision based on what you think is the right thing to do for you.

Good luck.

Dave

• flo9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Guys... I'm not at all saying the landscapers tried to kill me etc.... the apt manager is a total ass hole... a lot of people complain about him in general and what he's said is stupidness. He also said they didn't need to warn me because my patio isn't a garden..... but everyone knows I am the gardener and patio is always filled with plants and I had permission to do all of this.
    The new landscapers ... only 1 speaks English out of about 30 working here. And most workers only care to do what they are told to get paid and probably all or most didn't know the hazards... and the landscaper manager told me repeatedly... he is only doing what he's been told to do.

I'm distraught about this.... and surely most of you could identify how I feel about it..... I worked hard and bought the best soil, seeds everything.... my plants are my "babies" and give me food.

There's many types of roundup sold... they have the blue container. I saw it... I asked him to show me the product in the container they are using.... it cost hundreds for what looked like a gallon of it.

Poison control told me it doesn't matter which type.. they all are bad and not meant for a garden with plants regardless if food. It sticks on the leaves. For certain I have to throw out all of my radishes... over 100. I have about 40 pea and bean plants...... I'm just not happy.

• cold_weather_is_evil
    9 years ago

You may not like this, but please recognize that IâÂÂm not attacking anyone here. Now that you know what has been done, assess the damage from some distance.

First, you have to be clear about where you have drawn the line about chemicals in your life. There are two parts to that. One, what will you eat without knowing what has been done to the growing site, the plant in the ground, and the harvested food. Two, what is your limit for what you personally do with your food growing system.

These parts have to be different because there is too much unknown about the first limit. So you wash your other-grown food well even if you have been told it is untainted. You are willing to eat other-grown food because you try to believe those liars/saints when they say theyâÂÂre growing organically.

But you donâÂÂt know, and so you understand that you are eating some things that donâÂÂt meet your personal limits. ThatâÂÂs a risk you take because you have to.

On the second point, you know that if you get your tainted soil tested by a lab with all sorts of frighteningly expensive equipment, they will not be able to find the smallest trace of glyphosate in your soil or in your foods because there is none in your soil or foods. Your food is still organically safer than anything put out by a factory farmer and you know it. YouâÂÂre PO'd that someone would screw up what you have tried very carefully to do, but it's not a crime, not the end of all things. ItâÂÂs a bump in the road.

So, hereâÂÂs the Dear Abby test: are you better off eating your own ethically grown food or are you better off eating food from the store grown for profit by strangers who swear it is all good stuff?

Your health will not be harmed in any way. You know implicitly that repeated exposure to these chemicals is undeniably (that doesnâÂÂt stop some people from denying it!) bad, but nothing you have growing is in any way going to contribute to that exposure. Absolutism is only going to harm your self if it causes you to lose better food than you can buy anywhere.

• elisa_z5
    9 years ago

Listen to your bean plants.
    If they die, you got drift. If they live, you're home free.

I agree with cold-weather (above). Do you trust what others have grown more than what you have grown, when what you have grown might not have even gotten serious drift from the spraying?

Do you live in the US? If so, and you're not an absolute stickler about organics, and I mean stickler, like not even a dab of Hellmann's Mayo, then you're eating food that was grown on roundup treated soil.

BTW, that wasn't cut and paste from nc-cm.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

The new landscapers ... only 1 speaks English out of about 30 working here. And most workers only care to do what they are told to get paid and probably all or most didn't know the hazards... and the landscaper manager told me repeatedly... he is only doing what he's been told to do.

This you can do something about.

Find your State's version of the EPA and file a complaint, expressing concern that the workers aren't trained to use what they are using, and that they might not be getting the safety information they need.

Give them the name of the apartments, the name of the management company, and the date of the incident.

Poison control told me it doesn't matter which type.. they all are bad and not meant for a garden with plants regardless if food. Poison control's staff needs better training. An insecticide or herbicide's label tells EXPLICITLY what the interval from use to harvest must be.

• flo9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Testing... geesh... I have a reply but website keeps saying I'm cussing and I am not

• flo9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lordy... I re-read it 4 times... no cuss words and I have it copied and I even rewrote some words... still won't go through. It's like 4 big paragraphs.

Ok so cold..... I know about organic foods... you must be certified... I am not going to re-write what I had already took the time with 20 minutes to do to help you understand the farming market.
    Some other day.... I'm not wasting my last 2 hours on day off to do this... sorry. I tried.

Thanks all for the great suggestions contacting epa etc... but I already know epa never cares and works with the bad guys.

Another user spoke of a group gaining on these people... heck not every body is aware... but needs to be educated and consider others.

Gotta go for now.... thanks all for your support. I have some bones left over from some meat I cooked for my dog to give to the bad comment people getting a wise arse etc... all yours... my gift.

• flo9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

PSS... truly thank you.... I'm just in a rush... much to do tonight before sleep and work .... will share what I tried to write maybe Monday.... some of my words may of came out wrong... no waste of time...

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

WOW!! As my dad used to say.....'a little knowledge is a dangerous thing'.

Glyphosate - the active ingredient in RoundUp - is the most studied chemical pesticide on the planet and has been for decades. I cannot believe a poison control center would be that ill-informed about such a common substance. If that was the primary toxic material resource in MY community, I'd be extremely concerned.

nc-crn is one of the most well-informed members of this forum and the information he/she provides you can take to the bank. Nothing in their first post was the slightest bit inaccurate or without significant documented evidence to back it up.

For what its worth, I am including a link to EXTOXNET, which is the primary pesticide resource and a cooperative effort by 5 major land grant university extension services. The information contained in their pesticide profiles is based on independent scientific testing. While I have linked to the complete glyphosate profile, I am exerting the pertinent info on acute toxicity:

â¢Acute toxicity: Glyphosate is practically nontoxic by ingestion, with a reported acute oral LD50 of 5600 mg/kg in the rat. The toxicities of the technical acid (glyphosate) and the formulated product (Roundup) are nearly the same.

â¢Fate in humans and animals: Glyphosate is poorly absorbed from the digestive tract and is largely excreted unchanged by mammals. At 10 days after treatment, there were only minute amounts in the tissues of rats fed glyphosate for 3 weeks [98]. Cows, chickens, and pigs fed small amounts of glyphosate had undetectable levels (less than 0.05 ppm) in muscle tissue and fat. Levels in milk and eggs were also undetectable (less than 0.025 ppm). Glyphosate has no significant potential to accumulate in animal tissue.

As to eating plants somehow contaminated by RoundUp, most will be dead long before you would be able to harvest them. And for those that receive only a glancing blow - not enough to do any significant damage to the plant - they would not contain sufficient quantities of the chemical to make any difference.

Here is a link that might be useful: EXTOXNET profile on glyphosate

• digdirt2
    9 years ago

Excellent post gardengal48.

Guys... I'm not at all saying the landscapers tried to kill me etc....

Flo - My comments about that were not directed at you rather at some of the early comments from others in response to your original post. Yes we do understand and we do sympathise.

Dave

• Lloyd
    9 years ago

I'm convinced the hysterical people just want to be hysterical and there is no amount of logic or reasoning that will deter them from their path. I'm also convinced that attempting to reason with these folks is a colossal waste of bandwidth.

I will admit it can be very entertaining reading though.

Lloyd

• FrancoiseFromAix
    9 years ago

I don't think this guy is hysterical, I can understand that when one has worked hard at producing some organic veggies from scratch it is very frustrating that a bunch of idiots ruin it in a minute, and then nobody cares.

As for drinking a glass of round up ! It's pure BS ! Telling that and expecting someone to believe it is like telling someone imbecile ! How stupid must one be to swallow that !

As for the short term effect : my italian neighbor has a garden made of gravel. He usually tolerate the weeds but because he needs money he's now renting his place when he's in Italy. So he put round up on the gravel to have it look good. One year later, my Oleander trees growing between our gardens still have white leaves. Thank you round up !

Of course I don't eat oleander, it would kill me by itself even if organic ;-)

My point is, the effect is longer than I thought.

And I'm also pissed off at this Italian guy.

I just think that all these chemicals should not be sold to non farmers. Using all that crap for frivolous trivialities as good looking lawn is IMO very stupid.

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    9 years ago

Francoise, Do you know that it was plain Roundup that was applied on the gravel? There are some more persistent herbicides.

This post was edited by wayne_5 on Tue, May 6, 14 at 10:03

• david52 Zone 6
    9 years ago

I can't think of the names right now, but they sell some very persistent herbicides for things like gravel driveways etc - it isn't roundup.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    9 years ago

"... Glyphosate is poorly absorbed from the digestive tract and is largely excreted unchanged... moderately persistent in soil
    ...slightly toxic to wild birds...
    It is extensively metabolized by some plants, while remaining intact in others..."

One could take bits and pieces and not really see a clear picture of its safety.
    Not 100%.
    I would not be very happy if someone mistook my address for another and started spraying near my garden. I would not condemn it, or start over. I would possibly post a concern. Watch for leaf damage.
    My neighbor had a pest control pull up and start un-packing and it was out of character...wrong address, wrong street. Not home but with 3 children under 5, i stopped them and corrected the mistake by looking at the work order.

It is unfortunate that the management did not inform tenants of the spraying so those concerned could seek cover, shut windows, move some plants or cover them from any overspray.
    If container plants are not doused directly and showing no sign of suffering and young plantings...i would not be horribly concerned. But i would ask/insist that future spraying of anything be posted for you and your neighbors.
    Last weekend i sprayed the forest edge with a garlic/hot pepper mix and diatomaceous earth and a bit dry around my hostas wearing a dust mask. Non windy day and told my neighbor what it was. (same neighbor that thought my seed starting tomatoes in the basement window were a drug crop).
    Use communication skill without exclamation punctuation to get your concerns dealt with. You may have support in your community. Don't diss your local services that may support your rights to be informed about certain chemicals sprayed without being informed.

• flo9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yesterday all but one of my radish containers the leaves were yellow and brown... not every radish plant but over half. The radishes are between 3-7 weeks old and all were very healthy looking a few days ago and watered well. I threw them all away and ridded the soil. It was heart breaking... I lost MANY meals.

My snow pea and bean plants so far I don't see any harm. I still don't know if I should throw them out even listening to experiences from one his pulled through and ate it.
    It's still early... I can still start brand new and get some peas.

I spoke to management yesterday and she told me they will send a letter to everyone before any more sprayings occur.... they won't pay me for the damages. I convinced her to allow to replace all the pine straw directly at my unit... not sure if I mentioned it but it's a total fire hazard and meets up to my patio and she admitted one apt complex she worked for it caught fire burning the place. geez... she kept saying no for mulch until that slipped out of her mouth!!! And I had to pay for the mulch too..... $15 bucks so far... might need more... I'm waiting for them to remove it. I've got a hundred words on the tip of my tongue to call these people... nothing nice.
    I can't afford to move at all and it's extremely hard to find a place to live in this city and it's very expensive to live here.

Thanks all for the comments and support.

• flo9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I would have taken them to small claims court or do something... anything I could if they ruined all of my pepper. egg plant and tomato plants... plus tons of flowers and other fruits I started. I was seriously lucky I had most things indoor since it was 40 degrees and to be 40 that night and working.. I didn't take them outside. I have over 20 pepper plants and you all know how long that takes... started them in January. Anyways... I'm just glad they were safe.

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Federal testing of American made pesticides routinely finds toxic ingredients not on the label.

• flo9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That doesn't surprise me bboy. I've never worked for a chemical company before so I don't know their procedures and how they could get away with it.

Sleevendog... most people suspect people growing something illegal if they're into gardening... happens all the time and I've heard so many stories homes getting raided due to neighbors thinking they're growing something illegal.

Maintenance comes in our apts every so often for water heater checks etc... I think it's mainly to spy. Plus I've seen them go into other apts and not leave a note they were in there. I told the neighbors about it. Well, I don't smoke it or grow it.. I quit it many years ago.. I don't like it anymore. Well, they're all use to seeing about 100 garden plants of mine. I don't think they're suspicious of me at least any longer.
    I bought that dirmatous earth stuff... my dog is allergic to mites really bad... I can't use it indoors again. For 2 days I kept inhaling it on the carpets. It seemed to help my dog out though.

• henry_kuska
    9 years ago

"The information in this profile may be out-of-date. It was last revised in 1996. EXTOXNET no longer updates this information, but it may be useful as a reference or resource."

Why cite a 1996 EXTOXNET document when discussing the health properties that are known for glyphosate today?

Here is a very recent published scientific paper (the highlighting is not mine):

http://www.ichnfm.org/library/GMOglyphosate-residues-in-animals-and-humans.pdf

Here is a link that might be useful: link for above

• Itai Goldman
    9 years ago

I have a similar issue here in israel. my organic public food garden has been affected by spraying next to it. i asked the gardner who sprayed the weeds not to spray there as it got to all my plants in the garden (2 gardens opposite each other). that was 2 weeks ago, i have been giving the plants and soil compost tea and beneficial bacterial innoculum to try and mitigate the damage, most of the plants went into flowering (might be the season here but i sense the nearing death has something to do with it). today i saw the gardner spraying in the same location again! he is completly ignorant and has no sense of what he's doing (working without proper gear in a childrens play area where they were running around bear footed eating plants that were later seen to be affected! we live in a large kibbutz (community) and all of my warnings and pleas are falling on death ears. i am not knowledgeable regarding the law but there must be a law against deliberately spraying a mix of toxic chemicals (roundup + two other harsher mixes) on our food and gardens. i dont know what to do. any advice or help is much needed.
    thanks,
    itai

• jolj
    8 years ago

They told me likely plants will shrivel and/or be dead in a couple days... but doesn't matter... it locks onto the plants and soil. If it gets in water ways.... IT INSTANTLY KILLS FISH, FROGS, AND WATER PLANT LIFE...... y

It is not Glyphosate that kills the fish & frog, it is the oil that lets the poison stick to the plant leaf that kills the fish & frogs.

Go to a farm chemical store & they will show you a spray for steams & ponds, with no oils.

This product has been on the market for at least 20 years.

• henry_kuska
    8 years ago

jolj, please, what is the name of this product that you recommend? Thank you.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    8 years ago

Imazapyr is one such herbicide that is considered safe to use around streams, rivers and ponds and tidal estuaries.

• jolj
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I do not have the band name here, it is at my work, where they use it in a drain ditch.

I can get you the name Monday night.

I have not used it in many years, as I do not do landscape maintenance any more.

But gg48 Has never gave me bad advise, in all the years here on Gardenweb.

So Imazapyr is as good as anything I have.

• kimmq
    8 years ago

Since this was posted the World Health Organization has labeled glyphosate as a carcinogen.

Imazapyr along with any glyphosate product and many other synthetic herbicides are not acceptable to an organic grower.

Reassurance by non organic growers that poisons are not al that bad does little to reassure someone that is an organic grower and it does no good to refer to us as hysterical.

kimmq is kimmsr

• jolj
    8 years ago

As a organic gardener we should know & understand how these poisons work, just for problems like the poster.

No everyone has a 200-2000 foot safe zone around their garden.

I know I am blessed to have a ten acre pine forest on two side of my garden, but not everyone is as lucky.

So I read up on the stuff & talk to people who use it & that helps me to understand what I am facing. Yelling the sky is falling will not help anyone.

Kimmq do you have a link to W.H.O.?

• PRO
    Steven Ripple
    8 years ago

First off, Rondup is odorless so it was something else (could be something in addition to the Roundup or they did not use Roundup at all). Next there are more than one "Roundup" - regular, extended, and Max Control. The extended and Max Control are the types that prevents anything from growing there for awhile (this would be very bad for a garden!). What a horrible way to name products - like having ice cream and ice cream extended with rat poison!

Anyway I am of the opinion that glyphosphate is not very toxic. It is inactivated in soil and breaks down quickly (in healthy soil anyway). However if you are growing organically - it's not anymore.

If you water (rinsing off the leaves) the plants immediately after they spray, then you can save them.

However, since I think they actually spraying something else - with a strong odor, I would ask the apartment complex to replace everything! Threaten to sue or report pesticide use violations.

Oh - there are strict regulations for pesticide applicators - check in your State. They probably violated something by doing this. Here: it can't be windy, too hot, you need to inform people, put up signs, etc. He was definitely wrong in the 2 hour statement. The 2 hour thing is actually that after 2 hours you can't wash it off! So you can use it and if it rains two hours later, it's already absorbed and killing the plant.

• jolj
    8 years ago

The round up my non organic garden friend uses smells & can keep deer away for a few days.

• janicetravis2008
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Neighbour poisoned my garden/dog and Pond

Can someone please help me???

My neighbour has sprayed poison over half of the front of my garden , all down the side, Half of the back garden. They have even sprayed the dog and the pond. I have got them on cctv and hoping the police will pursue criminal proceedings. But I am so worried about the dog and pond full of fish who are showing signs of ulcers and the dog isn't too good either. I am trying to find out what they have used, I did call the environmental health but they said cannot get involved with civil matters and they only deal with the environment. He's spray the poison and its air born and was upset they was no help. The stuff he's used I think was industrial as a landscape gardener said with this drying white after water has been mixed with it. The stuff he used is sticky on the plants and when my son hosed the drive it started to bubble and when it dried after water was added all the drive was white. Its killed everything. Does anyone know of a poison that acts this way as I am lost and I need help. Is there anyone where I can go to test the pond and dog . He does work for the council and was told he has easy access to what they use. I did phone them and he said the stuff they use is as safe as houses and that he doubts hes got it from work. The thing is when they spray its diluted down and the stuff this idiot used I believe be neat Stuff. I will upload some pictures now to show what its doing to the plants. Thanks Janice

• janicetravis2008
    8 years ago

• janicetravis2008
    8 years ago

• janicetravis2008
    8 years ago

• janicetravis2008
    8 years ago

• janicetravis2008
    8 years ago

• janicetravis2008
    8 years ago

• janicetravis2008
    8 years ago

• janicetravis2008
    8 years ago

• janicetravis2008
    8 years ago

As I said its got a film look and when water mixes with it , it turns white everywhere. This before water mixed but u see some white there already showing

• elisa_z5
    8 years ago

janice, this is an old thread, and you may well find some good info on it, but since you need help fast I'd suggest you start a brand new thread and post your photos and your text above on it. That will get people's attention and hopefully get you some help fast.

For the dog I'd suggest calling your vet asap. So sorry this has happened! And I hope that you'll get some good answers soon from folks who know about these things.

• janicetravis2008
    8 years ago

Thanks Elisa I am now opening a new thread and thanks for Your advice. I will call the vet in the morning. I need evidence that he's sprayed the dog plus her water bowls outside and know she has been drinking from there and my fish have ulcers. There are some sick ppl out there, hoping the police will charge and prosecute .