SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

I blame you, MrBreeze...

quinnfyre
16 years ago

Thanks to your elaborate setup, I'm seriously considering building a setup of my own. A more modest setup, as I don't plan on collecting every ang in existence (not just yet anyway... never say never) but modest is a funny word to describe something that includes the words: build, acrylic sheets, and computer fans... ha!

But seriously, does this sound like an idea that could work? Basically, I'm brainstorming this: a tank, of sorts, built with acrylic sheets, with perhaps a cutout near the middle/top (of one of the sides) with a small cooling/intake fan mounted there, probably a computer fan. Not sure what I want to do with the lid, except that lighting will be involved there somewhere.

Why acrylic? Because I can cut it (or have it cut). Computer fans are small (will have to see how I would power it though). I can light this setup pretty easily, and hopefully keep it humid easily. Also, I can stick one of my thermometer/hygrometers in there, and monitor the conditions.

This setup will be small, designed to hold maybe up to five orchids with room to breathe, more if I cram em together a bit.

Lastly, I think I just might be able to do this whole setup for under $100 (not including angs, of course.) Although I am using some things that I already have, so this isn't a from scratch cost estimate.

Am I insane? Or am I just finding the notion of constructing things fun? In any case, like I said already, I blame you, MrBreeze ; )

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living