SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yumeji

Brown Spots on P. Amabilis (Moon Orchid)?

yumeji
16 years ago

I purchased a white Phalaneopsis Amabilis (aka Moon Orchid) at Rona on April 2nd, noting that all of their orchids seemed overwatered that day. By April 6th, I had to snip off 30% of its roots due to rotting along with one of the older leaves (it had 7 to begin with and 2 stems). The crown appeared healthy still, and the 70% of the roots were still green. I placed it back in its pot (replacing the wet moss with styrofoam peanuts, orchid mix, and moss on top in a clay pot with good drainage.

The orchid has been placed on the window sill during the day on the west side behind curtains, then placed in a warm spot during the evenings/overnight.

I've noticed since the 3rd day we purchased this orchid, only one of the flowers had been suffering from brown spots appearing on its petals. It's been 10 days and the spots have not contaminated any of the other flowers--just that one.

Anyone have any idea if I should be concerned about these spots? The orchid is still blooming (2 buds and 2 larger flowers that are slowly opening along with 5 fully bloomed flowers).

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:155204}}

Comments (2)