SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katiesommer

When to plant Blue Moon Wisteria?

katiesommer
11 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm a longtime lurker and learner, but this is my first posting.

I live in zone 5a; Omaha, NE.

After lots of thought and research, I think we've finally decided on planting a wisteria (the hardy Blue Moon) to climb up and trellis over our deck and pergola. You can see that below; ideally the vine would be climbing behind those hanging baskets. That side of the deck receives a lot of sunlight in the afternoon, right when we're eating dinner (of course), so we're going for little natural shade and a lot of natural beauty.

We also LOVE fragrant flowers. So, as always, if there's a better fragrant climber, I'm all ears. My husband wanted honeysuckle, but I talked him out of it.

So I have two questions. First is whether you guys think the location is OK. I've read that one should plant wisteria over freestanding structures, and this would be climbing over deck posts and/or trellis anchored to a deck. Second, when should I plant the vines? Right now it's hot as Hades, so I'm thinking I should hold off. But is fall OK, or should I wait until spring?

Thank you. I learn so much from these forums and really appreciate the feedback.

Katie

Comments (6)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional