SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tropbavard

Can I grow a Cattleya?

tropbavard
17 years ago

So I fell in love with a Blc. Ports of Paradise over the weekend, but I'm not totally sure that I can provide the proper conditions for it. The greenhouse says that it just needs Cattleya conditions, but I'm not totally sure I have those.

I grow my orchids grouped on the windowsill on humidity trays (which actually works for me, keeping humidity a good 5-10% higher near the plants, even at leaf level) to keep humidity from 50-60% during the winter. I mist the plants in the morning (usually) before the morning sun gets to them. I live on the first floor of my building across the street from another 3-story apartment building (which blocks the earliest light of the day but also reflects light back into my apartment in the afternoon). My paphs and phals really love the east-facing window they live in. In the warmer months, they stay on the window sill and catch breezes of moist air from Lake Michigan as I cannot move them outdoors.

As far as I understand, cattleyas (and my desired Blc) need more light than my other orchids. I have a southeast facing window (part of a window well in my living room) that gets good light and a bit of direct light in the late morning. When I got my first orchid (a phal), I kept it in that window for a few days before noticing a burn on one of its leaves.

What do you think? Should I acquire the plant, or just admire it from afar?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor