SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rose_white4114

Need help getting my cattleya and phaleaonopsis to grow roots.

Rose Beyaz
8 years ago

My Phal was over watered during the winter and has but a single root left. I have been monitoring its progress carefully and it has put out a new leaf last month. However, I noticed it growing a keiki on the flower spike that has since grown (but no roots either!). In the last 3-4 months, it did not put out any new roots (I continuously check for its progress on the matter) so I was surprised by how the phal was holging it together. Last week, I noticed the oldest leaf yellowing and got alarmed; the flower spike with the keiki had also yellowed out/dried partially (I am guessing dry due to summer?). I have been invested in saving this plant for the last 7 months so I really want to know how I can promote root growth (I tried keeping a humid environment around the plant and misting regularly, but it was of no help).

As for my Cattleya, I bought it during the early spring and it seemed to be fine. However, I noticed the pseudobulbs were shrinking and wrinkling and since the mix was still moist, I had alarm bells ringing in my head. I pulled the plant out to find a rotten mess of roots; the plant had actually been 3 different plants placed together and incorrectly (too close to one another) causing a root mass buildup in one location that trapped all the water (there was sphagnum moss trapped between the roots as well) and this caused the roots to rot. I cut away the rotten roots and to my shock and horror, realized that the entire roots of the plan(s) were rotten. I have been trying to grow roots on these as well, but had no success so far. I would appreciate it if someone who knows how to get Cattleya's to regrow their roots share his/her experience.

Thank you!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21