SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherrybelle_gw

Help! Problems due to planting seeds in unfinished compost

cherrybelle
10 years ago

We built new raised beds in early April and filled them with a mix of vermiculite (10%), peat moss (20%) and leaf compost (70%). The compost was warm and a bit steamy when we were mixing everything together. I was anxious to plant my cool season veggies, so a few days later I sowed radish, carrots, lettuce, arugula, and bok choy seeds directly into the compost mix. The seed leaves emerged, but then stopped growing. They have not grown in probably two weeks. The radish leaves have turned from green to red or yellow. On everything else, the true leaves never even emerged. From what i have read, it is either a nitrogen deficiency issue or an organic acid that was relased in the compost that effects the roots of young seedlings. My question is, is there something I can add to the soil to improve growing conditions, such as fish emulsion or bone meal? Should I just scrap the cool season plants and hope things have improved enough by the time I plant my zucchini and tomatos in a couple of weeks?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus