SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
compulsivegrower

Unfinished Compost on my Vegetable Garden

compulsivegrower
11 years ago

Hello fellow gardeners! This is my first post on this website and I need your help ! I have a garden about 3000 square ft and this is my first season on this soil.
The landowner operates a pasture raised poultry farm and has a few horses. He also has a static compost pile about 12 feet high probably 30 ft long and 8 feet wide. In the pile is sawdust and chicken manure from the baby chicks before they are old enough to be in the pasture, horse manure with wood shavings, chicken morts ( dead chickens that apparently decompose in the middle of the pile within a few days ) and kitchen scraps and grass clippings. There are probably more ingredients added to the compost pile but this is all I know.
Now the problem is since it is a static pile it does not get turned. The heat in the middle is obviously hot but the rest of the pile is not. On Jan 19 he spread about 3-4 inches of this compost on the garden space. Looking at it you can see that it was unfinished compost that was spread as you can identify parent materials and it smells.
So my questions are
1) will this continue to decompose in the next few months and rob my plants of available nitrogen and nutrients if I plant directly into it or put in transplants ?
2) should I till it in or try and take it off ? ( seems like it would take days to do)
3) if I leave it on there how long will it take to cure once tilled into the soil ?
4) how long do I need to wait to do an accurate soil test ? Will the uncured compost effect the reading ?

If anyone can answer one or more questions please help !
I find it really hard to find info on my specific case

Thank you !!!!

Comments (12)