SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

Time for a Rambling April Thread

calliope
15 years ago

Welp.........been pretty busy the last month in all directions. Not complaining, it's been a good busy and if you are in the flower business and not busy at Easter and early spring, then you're in trouble.

But, I'm about on autopilot now in the g'houses until Mother's Day and thought it was time to catsup on the Garden Party since I haven't been posting much lately.

Just a bunch of rambling thoughts. I like rambling threads, because there's enough fodder it can go all directions.

Got back from a symphony concert tonight. Oh it soothes the soul. Our little bucolic neck of the woods has a fine symphony orchestra and as I sat in the old chapel where the concert was held in a small, nearby village, could shut my eyes, and imagine the same music being played to a similar audience a hundred years ago on an early spring night. It did my heart good to think that even with ipods and televisions, that people still gather together to hear classical music, in front of real musicians and it's ageless.

I did notice, however, that when the orchestra started off the concert with the National Anthem, that the only people singing along were the fifty somethings and older. Why? Can somebody explain this to me? I was holding the door open for a lady who was on a cane, despite my arms full and a young man went barging through too, instead of holding it open for me, lol. He did say thank you, however.

I have a new doggie now I adopted from the local shelter. He is a rat terrier and with his boundless energy, we are enjoying walks on the property, so he can dance and strain at the leash with each rabbit he flushes, bird he sees and chipmunk who runs along his path. He flushed a rabbit down by the pond, and never even noticed he went airborn over it, until he landed in the water. Remember the roadrunner cartoons? LOL. Thankfully he can swim.

He also discovered our white robin. This bird was with us last year, and evidently returned to his old stomping grounds. It is totally white, except it's red breast.

He also finally managed to spook a herd of deer who were trying to ignore him. The little fellow can't bark, and I guess somebody de-barked him in his previous life. Poor guy.

Twice now in the last month, I've filled out surveys for something or other and there is a new ethnic group. Well, it's not new, we've been around for longer than the nation has been a country, but I'm seeing it added to the choices you can pick out. There is the blank now and it says "Appalachian". Yes, I check it. Why not? Culturally, we are different and somebody finally noticed. LOL. They used to just call us hillbillies.

Speaking of which, we've had sun for three days until tonight, and I pulled out the bar of Fels Naptha and washboard and did a load of white wash and hung it on the line. You have never smelled anything so fresh or seen cotton come so clean.

I also started to pull the straw off my new strawberry bed I got in last spring. I started off with two hundred plants, and there must be four times that amount now. I'm doubling it as soon as it stops raining long enough to get a tractor in there to rip the soil. Also going to put in a new berry patch this year, because I give up on growing corn with the deer and racoons beating me to the ripe ears. I pulled corn silk out of trees last year. I have hundreds of wild blackberries but this one is for raspberries. The fruit trees in the little orchard are starting to bloom too and I noticed four or five apple trees in the wooded part of the property blooming too. Never noticed them before. Remnants (progeny) of the old orchards on the 1835 map I have hanging on my wall in the office. Life goes on.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions